Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12333 Discussions

RAID Intel-PAHi5-11th-Generation

jsmiddleton4
New Contributor I

Sorry but I'm a little confused.  Maybe I missed a slot somewhere but I didn't see a second M.2 slot so as to have 2 NVMe "drives". 

SSD via SATA cable.
1 M.2 slot.

Is there another M.2 slot I'm missing?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Are you, perhaps incorrectly, responding to some other conversation? Regardless, I will answer your questions here...

The PA NUC has only a single M.2 socket. Using RAID on this NUC requires devices of like interface, two NVMe SSDs or two SATA SSDs/HDDs/SSHDs. Your only option for RAID would be using SATA SSDs, one M.2 SATA SSD and one 2.5" SATA SSD/HDD/SSHD.

Personally, I wouldn't do this. The RAID array would be limited to SATA performance, wasting the performance potential of the M.2 NVMe interface. I recommend that you get yourself a reasonable-sized, super-fast M.2 NVMe SSD to use for your primary storage and a big 2.5" SSD/HDD/SSHD to use for your (slower) secondary storage.

...S

P.S. Remember there's a 9.5mm height limitation for the 2.5" drive; you cannot use 15mm drives in these NUCs.

jsmiddleton4
New Contributor I

Responding to the instructions for these particular NUC’s.  I wouldn’t do raid either.  The directions read like they can.  Maybe some version of these 11th Gen NUC’s.  I tried to get the ones with T3/T4 but they aren’t happening.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

For the 11th generation,

• The PA (Panther Canyon) NUC11 Performance family supports one M.2 2280 NVMe/SATA SSD and, if H chassis type, one 2.5" SATA SSD/HDD/SSHD.
  • The TN (Tiger Canyon) NUC11 Performance/Pro family supports one M.2 2280 NVMe-only SSD, one M.2 2242 SATA-only SSD and, if H chassis type, one 2.5" SATA SSD/HDD/SSHD.
  • The PH (Phantom Canyon) NUC11 Enthusiast family supports one M.2 2280 NVMe-only SSD and one M.2 2280 NVMe/SATA SSD. This is the one that supports two NVMe SSDs being used in a RAID array.
  • The BC (Beast Canyon) NUC11 Extreme family's (Driver Bay) Compute Modules support one (PCIe 4.0) M.2 2280 NVMe-only SSD and two M.2 2280 NVMe/SATA SSDs. The chassis' baseboard also supports one (PCIe 4.0) M.2 22110 NVMe-only SSD. You can create a RAID array using two NVMe or two SATA drives in the two M.2 2280 NVMe/SATA SSD sockets; I am not sure about involving the PCIe 4.0-based sockets however.

Hope this helps,

...S

Fields15
Beginner

AMD Ryzen 5 processors are generally slightly less powerful than i5 processors. They have a clock speed of up to 4.4GHz, compared to the 4.6GHz of the i5. But they do have twice as many threads. The AMD Ryzen 5 3600 also stands out thanks to a very low power consumption of 65W.

jsmiddleton4
New Contributor I

Thanks but not sure what that has to do with RAID setup.  But since you brought it up.  I had an AMD 5 4800U mini-pc.  I do some video archiving once and awhile and assumed the more cores/more threads would be faster for video rendering.

It wasn't.  The 8th Gen NUC i5 was faster.   These 11th Gen i5's a bit faster than the 8th Gen.  Not dramatically faster.  But faster.  The 3200 ram speed part of "faster".  I have 18CL ram too from Oloy.