Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CGuzm1
Beginner

Radeon RX Vega M GH Thermal Throttling at 65c

I've tried everything that I can think of to resolve GPU thermal throttling that I'm observing at 65c with no luck. I first performed a clean install of the graphics drivers, then I reset the BIOS, then I resorted to a full OS reinstall, nothing helped. The GPU is most certainly thermal throttling and can't maintain it's core clock at 1190 Mhz, any benchmark or game that I run will progressively run slower within a short period of time after starting it. It fails a Fire Strike Stress Test with a 93% with the fans turned up. I also tried manually setting the max temperature to 80c in WattMan. I don't understand what's happening here.

Has anyone else seen something similar with their new NUC8i7HVK?

I'm using the following.

BIOS: 0037

Graphics Driver: 2048

Windows 10 Home Version: 1803

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Mr.Guzzy,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

In order to provide a detailed answer, I would like to gather some information about your system.

Please scan it using the Intel® System Support Utility. Follow the steps below:

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Also, please provide the memory part number you are using.

Wanner G.
CGuzm1
Beginner

Thank you for your assistance. Attached is the SSU scan text, and the memory I'm using is: CORSAIR Vengeance Performance 16GB (2 x 8G) DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Model CMSX16GX4M2A3000C16

Here's some additional information.

After loading defaults in the BIOS and Restoring Factory Defaults in the Radeon RX Vega M settings the attached screenshot shows the thermal throttling in the WattMan graph while briefly running FurMark. And the system is set to the Windows High Performance Power Plan.

Results from 3DMark

With "Balanced" fan cooling:

Fire Strike Stress Test: 93.5% (failed)

Time Spy Stress Test: 93.7% (failed)

With "Cool" fan cooling:

Fire Strike Stress Test: 93.5% (failed)

Time Spy Stress Test: 95.1% (failed)

PVojt
Novice

What settings for temperature you have in Radeon Wattman? It is at very bottom where you can adjust thermal limit for GPU (just below/next to power limit adjust). Normally there is 85 deg. but for some reason this value might be overwritten for you to lower value.

CGuzm1
Beginner

The results are indistinguishable with the thermal limit set to "Automatic" or "Manual" (85c) in WattMan.

Consistent GPU performance is important to my use case of Unity game development.

I'm considering requesting a replacement through the seller. Unless you suggest otherwise.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Mr.Guzzy,

We are gathering some information about this issue reported. I will get back to you as soon as I have an update about it.

Wanner G.
CGuzm1
Beginner

Thank you for the update.

A few days ago I began the replacement process with Newegg. When a replacement arrives I'll install the same SSD and RAM that I've been using, the same BIOS, I'll run the same tests and I'll report the results here.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Mr.Guzzy,

Thank you for your response.

Please keep us updated if you have the same issue when you receive the replacement.

Wanner G.
CGuzm1
Beginner

I received the replacement, I installed the same RAM and SSD, and the GPU is performing as expected without any thermal throttling.

It passes the 3DMark Fire Strike Stress Test with a very stable score of 99.6%.

I also noticed that Radeon ReLive works when it did not with the other unit, (Alt+Z with Record Desktop enabled did nothing). I assumed that it was due to an issue with the drivers, but that's not the case as I'm using the same drivers.

Lastly when I was installing the RAM & SSD I noticed that this new unit has noticeably more black tape/insulation in it, as well as what looks like clear insulation tape peaking out between the cooler mounting bracket behind the processor package and the PCB that the other one didn't have.

Thanks for your support.

Ray_W_Intel
Employee

Glad to see your replacement is operating better for you.

Sorry to hear you had any initial issues. Though it should be noted that the default clockspeed on the Radeon Vega M GH is actually 1063Mhz with a boost clock to 1190

https://ark.intel.com/products/130409/Intel-Core-i7-8809G-Processor-with-Radeon-RX-Vega-M-GH-graphic... Intel® Core™ i7-8809G Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega M GH graphics (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz) Product Specifications

• Graphics Name‡ Radeon™ RX Vega M GH Graphics
  • Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 1190 MHz
  • Graphics Base Frequency 1063 MHz

It does sound like you were having thermal issues though on your previous unit.