Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Ram incompatible with my NUC?

Hello there I received my NUC + memory from amazon today and was disappointed to find out the NUC doesn't like the memory sticks i bought

What I have here:

NUC: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc6cayh.html Intel® NUC Kit NUC6CAYH

Memory: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct51264bf160b Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM | CT51264BF160B | Crucial.com (I got 2 of these)

When I powered up the NUC I got the following text on the screen

Unsupported 1Gb/2Gb density SODIMM(s) detected on both SODIMM slots. System instability or data loss possible.

Please replace with SODIMMs with 4Gb or higher density. Continue (Y/n).

Ouch. I decided to proceed to see if I could boot up with my Ubuntu 17.10 USB to check the memory from there and it showed 8GB of memory so it does seem to work at least to some degree. I turned it off after 1 minute to do some research before pushing this further as I don't want to destroy this new toy.

What's wrong with the memory I bought? Should I get something else? Or is there another way to fix this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

These are 2Gb density and thus should not be used. You need to swap for 4Gb density SODIMMs.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

On the ram's product page i linked to in the original post up here 'density' is not mentioned at all in the technical specs. How can I know that the next memory I purchase has the correct density?

* Update: I found compatibility checkers on SODIMM manufacturer's websites and ordered a 4GB module that's supposed to be compatible with my model NUC. Should have done this before purchasing the NUC. The lesson: Do not trust amazon to recommend you the right ram for your NUC!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

In the following thread you will find answer to your question:

Leon

0 Kudos