Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Random 'A bootable device has not been detected on bootup' message.

Quite often when I boot up the NUC8i5BEH, it goes to the initial NUC BIOS screen (with the F2 option etc.) and then, instead of going to the spinning circle and continuing to Windows, it gives the error 'A bootable device has not been detected on bootup' in the top left of the screen.

A CTRL-ALT-DEL on the keyboard reboots it and 100% it will boot fine into Windows. I have a Crucial MX100 SSD and noticed the last BIOS update 079(?) had a fix for boot issues for Crucial SSD's - unfortunately it made no difference to me. Today's new 081 is the same. Any ideas? There do seem to be a few options for Boot in the BIOS.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Random 'A bootable device has not been detected on bootup' message.

Hello SJW

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

What BIOS changes have been made to the system?

Can you test the system on default BIOS settings?

Do you have the same behavior if you use a different SSD? 

Have you tried completing the firmware updated for the current SSD?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I've made no recent changes to the BIOS that should affect boot - but it's done it as long as I can remember.

I guess I can reset the BIOS and see if it helps. I'll need to make a note of all the settings.

Using a different SSD isn't really an option.

I could try a Firmware update - but nervous of doing that when it exhibits no issues itself. (EDIT: Firmware updated to MU03 and issue still persists)

100% of time the PC boots after CTRL-ALT-DEL when bootup screen shows the error.

What specific issues were addressed in the previous BIOS update specifically related to Crucial SSD's?

I would like to know/understand what the various options are related to boot - secure boot, legacy boot etc. Is there a 'default' for a W10 boot?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello SJW

The bios 0079 Fixed issue where Crucial SSD would hang at the Intel NUC logo splash screen (https://downloadmirror.intel.com/29627/eng/BE_0081_ReleaseNotes.pdf)

The BOOT settings that are recommended for Windows® 10 is the default BIOS settings

Is it possible for you to review the SSD port connection for possible physical damage?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Leo, the physical connection is fine. I did remove it and reseat it.

As I say, it fails often on power on/wake from Hibernate but NEVER fails a second time (ctrl-alt-del from the error message).

I'm thinking there's still maybe an issue with Crucial SSD that hasn't been resolved with the new BIOS?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello SJW

Thank you for the update can you try rolling back the system to BIOS 0078 and test if you have the same behavior?

Note:

You can try the BIOS recovery on the system: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005636/intel-nuc.html

The BIOS 0078 can be found in https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29453/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A-

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Leo,

I had this problem with 078 so was happy to see the fix in 079 but unfortunately it made no difference to me.

Flashing BIOS is something I 'like' to do as little as possible so given I know I had the issue with 078 there's probably no value in reverting?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello SJW

Thank you for confirming the behavior with the BIOS 0078, regarding the BIOS 0079 I would like to let you know that it was removed because we found issues with this version.

To rule out if the issue is the Intel® NUC it would be important to test a different SSD, nevertheless, if you feel that this behavior because if the Intel® NUC you can request the RMA of the unit.  

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello SJW

Do you have any on the testing proposed?  

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello SJW

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Leo,

As above, I don't really want to try another SSD and install Windows etc. Equally, I don't really want to RMA it either (and re-install/activate Windows?). I am interested in what the issue identified with Crucial SSD's was - was it the same as I am having?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello SJW

Thank you for the response, allow me to look into your request, I will be posting back as soon as possible.  

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re:Random 'A bootable device has not been detected...

Hello SJW

Can you try setting an HDD pre-delay in BIOS (5-10 sec) and test the unit? If this does not help I would recommend trying with a different storage device.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello SJW

Have you been able to test the steps provided?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello SJW

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos