Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Recommended Software for 4k playback.

I have been unsuccessful thus far in getting any 4k video content to play on my Skull Canyon, NUC6i7KYB, i7-6770HQ, 16gb RAM.

VLC just seems to crash straight away, MPC-HC is glitched. What do people use to get 4k content to play properly?

I have a 4k 43 inch Philips monitor, displaying correctly (I do photography, monitor is calibrated and displaying native resolution properly).

Cheers!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor III

I use VLC-3.0.2-win64 on my NUC7i5BNH Windows insider build 18305 and it's working perfectly(I have to assign sound output device in VLC but I think thats an insider issue)I plays HDR10 without problems and has done so for a long time.

If VLC workks in 1920 I suspect you need a new HDMI(if that's what you are using)cable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I'm running the latest version (3.0.4), and upon testing a 4k file it just closes immediately, next time I load VLC up it apologises for the crash and wants to send a report to the developers...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I seem to resolve my VLC crash by tools>preferences>input/codecs>Hardware-accelerated decoding>disable (anything else doesn't work at all or plain crashes immediately).

So it sounds like it's just not going to work at all, surely I'll need some kind of gpu assistance in playing 4k back?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I installed Potpayer, natively things are working better, but when choosing full screen I get lag, if I watch it smaller in a window it copes better. I can see also the GPU in Services gets taxed more when going to full screen than when windowed mode...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I think there's a way to export the VLC settings, I'd be really keen to try your own VLC set up as there are a billion and one different combinations of settings to try. If you say you have managed to get yours working I'd be keen to try. Thus far I can get 4k working but not full screen...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello ESumm, Thank you for contacting our Intel® communities. We just wanted to check if you still need further assistance. In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box. Here is the download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Also, have you tried a different cable? Can you provide the model number of your current cable? I hope this helps. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello ESumm, We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance. Please don’t hesitate on contacting us back. I hope to hear from you soon. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yeah please keep this thread open as I haven't managed to troubleshoot this yet. I'm not sure what cable I have, I am downloading the Support Utility and can purchase a new HDMI cable, do you recommend any particular one that should manage 4k full screen?

Thus far I have 4k not working with MPC-HC at all, working fine in VLC but ONLY windowed, once going to full screen the video starts encountering stutters.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello ESumm, Thank you for your response. In this case we are eagerly awaiting for your report. Also, regarding HDMI, all HDMI connections support all HDMI cables. Only a High Speed HDMI cable support 1080p, 4K, 3D and Deep Color. High Speed HDMI cables are also called Category 2 HDMI cables. We recommend you one from the following list: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029357/mini-pcs.html I hope to hear from you soon. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello ESumm, We just wanted to check if you still need help. I hope to hear from you soon. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello ESumm, We just wanted to check if you still need further assistance. I hope to hear from you soon. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello ESumm, We just wanted see if you need help. We are closing your ticket as we have not heard anything from you. Please do not hesitate on contacting us if you need further assistance. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos