Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Reflashing a Intel NUC6i5SYK Winbond 25Q64FVSIG Flash with TL866II Flasher possible?

After a failed Jumper Reflash of the NUC Bios im hoping someone knows if it is even possible to successfully reflash the Winbond Flash without any special purpose encrypten/decryption tools from Intel.

I´ve got multiple .bio binaries for the NUC model, but rewriting the Flash with the TL866II Flasher does not help.

thx a lot

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

No. The .BIO files are compressed and encrypted and can only be read by the BIOS itself. You would need the image in .BIN form, but, due to security requirements, Intel does not (and will not) provide the BIOS in this form.

Further, when the BIOS is initially installed into the flash component in the factory, special tools are run that "brand" the BIOS for the particular board. This branding specifies the board's Serial Number, AA Number and other board-specific SMBIOS strings, MAC Address, etc. The tools to do this branding are not distributed outside of Intel. What this means is that you cannot (or at least should not) take the image from the flash on one unit and use it in another unit if both of these units are to be used subsequently.

When you say a failed jumper reflash occurred, what specifically do you mean? What happened?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for the info, i already expected something like that.

I did a update from 0051 to 0072 and at the Intel Management Engine and Error was thrown.

"Flashing Image for Intel Management Engine firmware ... FW Update Fail in GetLastStatus"

After that boot was no longer possible, no blue light, nothing.

N

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

51 to 72? That's a little far to be jumping in one operation.

You need to do two things, (1) clear CMOS and, if that wakes it up, (2) BIOS Recovery.

To clear CMOS, you need to remove the NUC's board from its case and unplug the battery for 15 minutes. Here is a video that shows you how to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzHzu475y8U (thank you Jason).

Once you have removed the board, unplugged the battery for 15 minutes and reinstalled the board, stop with the case still open. Now follow my process for doing a BIOS Recovery:

1. NOTE: Read these instructions completely before starting. Follow all instructions EXACTLY.
  2. On some other Windows-based PC, make sure that you have the SY0072.BIO file.
  3. Insert a 32GB or smaller (the smaller the better) USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drive. It is also best if you use a flash drive that has an access LED that you can watch.
  4. Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Select to install the FAT32 file system (NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). You must also specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  5. NOTE: If FAT32 is not offered as a choice by the Format applet, your flash drive is too big; use another.
  6. Copy the .BIO file into the root folder of this USB flash drive. This should be the only .BIO file in the root folder of the USB flash drive.
  7. Properly eject the USB flash drive. Do not just yank it out. Do this from File Explorer or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  8. Inside the NUC, remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board. It will be the only yellow jumper; the rest will usually be black.
  9. NOTE: Remember the pins that this jumper was plugged onto; you will need this information later.
  10. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the USB ports on the rear of the NUC.
  11. Power on the NUC.
  12. The BIOS Recovery process should start automatically. If your's has one, the activity LED on the flash disk should flash. You should then see progress reported on your main monitor.
  13. NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case.
  14. When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be asked to power off the system. Do so.
  15. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the pins it was on previously. This should be across pins 1 and 2 of this (three pin) header.
  16. Remove the USB flash drive.
  17. Power on the NUC.
  18. Immediately begin pressing the F2 key, over and over (approx. once per second) until you see the BIOS Setup (or Visual BIOS) screen displayed.
  19. Verify, using the BIOS version string, that the BIOS installed properly. Stop if it isn't.
  20. Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key) to reset of the BIOS configuration.
  21. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  22. Once screen is cleared (goes black), begin pressing the F2 key, over and over, until you see the BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  23. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (for example, disabling NUMLOCK) or that you require (for example, setting Boot Order, enabling UEFI, etc.).
  24. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  25. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thats what i meant with the jumper reset procedure, thats what produced the error and now the NUC has no post or leds anymore.

i assumed the ime firmware was written only partial and was hoping i could write directly to the winbond flash, but that seems to be impossible because i cant get a decrypted binary.

As i dont have the same nuc, i cant try a flash copy, so ill just just take my loss and move on;)

but thx a lot for the help!

greetings

0 Kudos