Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Reinstalling Windows 10 Cannot See The Current Boot Drive

I currently have Windows 10 running on my M.2 SSD. I am trying to reinstall Windows 10 using USB but when I booted from the USB stick that I initially used to install Windows 10 on a blank drive. When the drive was blank, I was able to see it and install Windows 10 on it. However, now that I have Windows 10 installed on the boot drive, it no longer show up as an option for me to wipe and reinstall Windows. Is this because I have to change some settings in the BIOS? I am running the latest BIOS on my NUC7i7BNH. Please advice.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Try this: when you get to the install location selection screen, delete all partitions on the drive and then choose to install Windows to the unpartitioned space.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Scott, thanks for your reply. However, when I get to the installation selection screen, I do not see any partition for me to select to delete. The partition with the current boot record is only listed in the BIOS under UEFI but when I booted using the Windows USB, no drive or partition is listed and says "No drives were found" in the drive selection screen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hhmmm, it sounds like you are booting in Legacy mode. When you used F10 to select boot source, did you pick the UEFI entry for the USB stick?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Scott,

Both of my drives are listed under UEFI. The legacy mode in the BIOS is currently disabled. When I use F10 to select boot source, I picked the USB stick entry under UEFI. The M.2 SSD boot drive is also listed. However, after I selected to boot from the USB, the M.2 SSD is no longer listed in the Windows installation as a drive. When I went into the command prompt to list the drives using diskpart, it is not listed in the list of drives either. It seems as though the BIOS is the only one that can see the drive and it's locked when you don't boot from it. Very strange...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Sorry, I am still trying to get my head around this. You are saying that you can see the SSD from within the BIOS and you can boot from this SSD (using your old Windows 10 installation) but, if you boot into the Windows 10 installer, you cannot see the drive to select it, right?

Something to try is to go back into BIOS Setup and enable Legacy. Then, when you use F10 to select boot source, continue to use the UEFI entry for the USB key (not the Legacy entry). If the drive shows up in this case, delete all partitions and then select to install to the unpartitioned space.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Blueglue,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Scott,

I was able to get it to work. I appreciate your help on this topic!

Davy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Blueglue,

I am glad to hear you were able to install the OS. Please don't hesitate in contacting us back if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos