Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Relation between display resolution and fan noise?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Cooling/noise seems to be one of the big issues of these nice little NUCs. They are not any more placed under the desk as the old big boxes, but very close to your ears. I've managed to get my NUC7i5BNK quiet by turning the fan down to a default value of 32 cycles. Now I plan to replace my old display (1280x1024) with QHD or 4K display. My fear: Will this cause the fan to work harder if the graphics unit has to do more work, so that noise gets inacceptable again?

Thanks if someone could share his/her experience.

Regards,

Stefano

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
1 View

Re: Relation between display resolution and fan noise?

Jump to solution

Hello Stefano.Fereri,

Thank you for joining the Intel® NUC Community.

If you are using Windows and you are using the right Intel® HD Graphics driver for the Intel® NUC, there should not be any increase for the noise. The Intel® HD Graphics driver will help to work only with the graphics controller portion and not the processor itself and this should not increase the noise. The noise could increase if you are using the Microsoft Basic Driver, since this is just a basic driver and it could make the processor work and not filter the tasks for the graphics controller portion.

I hope other peers can join the thread and share more experiences.

Regards,

Amy C.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hello Stefano.Fereri,

Thank you for joining the Intel® NUC Community.

If you are using Windows and you are using the right Intel® HD Graphics driver for the Intel® NUC, there should not be any increase for the noise. The Intel® HD Graphics driver will help to work only with the graphics controller portion and not the processor itself and this should not increase the noise. The noise could increase if you are using the Microsoft Basic Driver, since this is just a basic driver and it could make the processor work and not filter the tasks for the graphics controller portion.

I hope other peers can join the thread and share more experiences.

Regards,

Amy C.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner
1 View

Jump to solution

Hi Ami,

that's it what I wanted to hear. Thanks a lot. Since device manager shows a graphics driver from Intel Corporation from August 2017 it should be perfect.

Thanks again,

Stefano

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
1 View

Jump to solution

Sure Stefano, you're welcome.

If you have more questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos