cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMüll
Beginner

Remove HDD Password from Samsung 850 Evo M.2 (SATA) SSD

Hey Everyone,

lately I bought a used Intel NUC6i5SYK with a included SSD. The seller said that he activated but later lost the HDD password. So now I have a NUC with a wonderful fast SSD but can't use it unless I buy a new SSD.

Is there a way to remove the password? I don't need any of the data on the SSD. I already tried Samsung Magician but it only tells me that Class-0-Security is actuated an a SecureErase is not possible.

I hope someone is able to help me.

Best regards!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It would not be much of a protection mechanism if we could provide a means to remove it, especially over a public forum.

If Samsung cannot do it, then that is the answer.

As for purchasing used equipment, it is always "buyer beware". Return it to the seller.

Doc

SMüll
Beginner

I don't want to access any of the data, I just wan't to be able to use the SSD again. The protection is to secure the data and I don't care about it. All other SSDs have a tool or something like that to do a PSID Reset...I just hoped that someone can tell me how Intels HDD password works and how I can do a factory reset of a with it secured HDD or SSD.

AlHill
Super User

I understand. But, suppose the SSD had important data on it, and someone acquired the SSD without permission. Said differently, if you had critical information on a SSD, and someone stole it and erased it, and you later caught the criminal with the SSD and your data was gone, would you be upset? After all, you purchased the SSD and encrypted it and password protected it for a reason.

This may be useful: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/64073-locked-samsung-850-evo-ssd.html Windows 10 Help Forums

Doc

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello,

If the SSD is protected by user password set in Bios it may be cleared from Configuration Menu

To display the Configuration Menu follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom cover from your NUC.
  2. Remove the yellow security jumper .
  3. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min, you will see the Configuration Menu - similar to the attached image.

4. Press [2] to clear BIOS user and supervisor passwords.

5. Switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper.

Hope this will help

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

If the password is stored in and applied by the drive, there is no tool that can remove this password. This is both a data integrity and security requirement. Allowing its removal would be a security violation; Intel will not provide tools that support security violations. If you do not know the password, there is nothing that you can do; the drive should be discarded.

Sorry,

...S