Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12542 Discussions

Replacement of Wireless-AC 8265 in NUC8i7HVB

nuctestit
New Contributor I

Hello,

I would like to replace the integrated Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 on my NUC8i7HVB with another wifi card.

In various reports I have read the recommendations for an Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 and the Killer AX1650. In the meantime, is there a wireless card suitable for the NUC8i7HVB that is even more powerful? Or are the two models mentioned still the last/best recommendations for replacing the AC 8265?

Also, I found two different variants of the Killer AX1650: One with "System Interface Type" Wi-Fi(PCIe), BT(USB), the other with M.2: CNVio2:

Wi-Fi(PCIe), BT(USB)
https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/products/sku/211609/intel-killer-wifi-6-ax1650-xw/specificati...

M.2: CNVio2
https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/products/sku/211610/intel-killer-wifi-6-ax1650-is/specificati...

I think I need to make sure that I get the Killer AX1650 with Wi-Fi(PCIe), BT(USB), right?

Another question:

The AC 8265 installed by default in the NUC8i7HVB is a Wi-Fi 5 card that supports a maximum of 867 Mbps according to the datasheet. The Intel® Wireless-AC 9260, on the other hand, supports up to 1.73 Gbps, for example. Why is this card so much faster than the AC 8265?

Is it possible that the AC 8265 is much slower because it only supports 20 MHz bandwidth? Because I can only select 20Mhz in the Windows 10 driver for the AC 8265, not 40, 80 or even 160 Mhz. Is this the reason why the AC 8265 only supports max. 867 Mbit/s?

Many thanks and greetings

nuctestit

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Your NUC is outfitted with a standard M.2 Type E connector for the installation of a 2230 Wireless card. It does not have support for Wireless cards that require CNVio/CNVio2 support.

The WiFi 5 Wireless-AC 8265 comes standard, but could be upgraded with a number of other cards:

• WiFi 5 Wireless-AC 9260
  • WiFi 6 Wireless-AX AX200 or Killer AX1650 (x/w)
  • WiFi 6e Wireless-AX AX210 or Killer AX1675 (x/w)

I personally have tested the HV NUC with AX200 and AX210 cards, so can verify their usability.

You ask why the 8265 is outperformed by the 9260. Simply, the 9260 represented a newer generation of wireless communications technology that supported higher transmission rates - and yes, in great part due to the wider channel bandwidth it supported. This trend has continued with the newer generations that support Wireless-AX and WiFi 6/6e capabilities.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. Just for completeness, let me say that, due to their reliance on support for CNVio/CNVio2, you cannot use any of the following cards:

• WiFi 5 Wireless-AC 9560
  • WiFi 6 Wireless-AX AX201 or Killer AX1650 (i/s)
  • WiFi 6e Wireless-AX AX211 or Killer AX1675 (i/s)
  • WiFi 6e Wireless-AX AX411 or Killer AX1690 (i/s)

View solution in original post

10 Replies
n_scott_pearson

Your NUC is outfitted with a standard M.2 Type E connector for the installation of a 2230 Wireless card. It does not have support for Wireless cards that require CNVio/CNVio2 support.

The WiFi 5 Wireless-AC 8265 comes standard, but could be upgraded with a number of other cards:

• WiFi 5 Wireless-AC 9260
  • WiFi 6 Wireless-AX AX200 or Killer AX1650 (x/w)
  • WiFi 6e Wireless-AX AX210 or Killer AX1675 (x/w)

I personally have tested the HV NUC with AX200 and AX210 cards, so can verify their usability.

You ask why the 8265 is outperformed by the 9260. Simply, the 9260 represented a newer generation of wireless communications technology that supported higher transmission rates - and yes, in great part due to the wider channel bandwidth it supported. This trend has continued with the newer generations that support Wireless-AX and WiFi 6/6e capabilities.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. Just for completeness, let me say that, due to their reliance on support for CNVio/CNVio2, you cannot use any of the following cards:

• WiFi 5 Wireless-AC 9560
  • WiFi 6 Wireless-AX AX201 or Killer AX1650 (i/s)
  • WiFi 6e Wireless-AX AX211 or Killer AX1675 (i/s)
  • WiFi 6e Wireless-AX AX411 or Killer AX1690 (i/s)
nuctestit
New Contributor I

Hi,

Many thanks for the very helpful information, including your own experiences!

Among other things, I did not know that there is still the Killer 1675!

But apparently there is no Killer AX1690 x/w, but only the Killer AX1690 i/s.

There have also been occasional reports here in the forums about problems installing the killer software on the NUC. But I hope one can manage that somehow.

Kind regards

nuctestit

n_scott_pearson

Yea, I left that out on purpose. In the previous two generations, Intel released standard and CNVio2-based cards - the AX200/AX1650xw with the AX201/AX1650is and the AX210/AX1675xw with the AX211/AX1675is. In the latest generation, something happened and they only released the CNVio2-based part (the AX411/AX1690is). I had expected - and hoped - to see an AX410/AX1690xw part as well, but this didn't happen. I am hoping that these missing parts or an explanation for why they won't exist comes out of Intel sometime soon.

...S

nuctestit
New Contributor I

Hi,

I wonder if it makes sense in this context to purchase a "better" antenna for the Wi-Fi module at the same time, if there is one on the market?

Is there any experience in this regard?

Kind regards
nuctestit

n_scott_pearson

The only way to improve the antennas is to go external. Unfortunately, with this NUC's design, there is no place to mount external antennas on it. What you can do is purchase a kit like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HM8NG7L?th=1. This gives you the pigtail wires you need to connect to the card and route out of the case. The antenna unit can then connect to the pigtail cables and you would be able to move it - instead of the NUC - around to find the best reception spot.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. It's notable that they actually use the AX200 card as the example in one of their talking points.

nuctestit
New Contributor I

Thanks again!

It is an interesting alternative but I think in such a case it may  be better to make use of an external USB Wi-Fi Adapter if the internal antenna is not good enough.

I will replace the Wi-Fi card in the first step!

Greetings

nuctestit

nuctestit
New Contributor I

Hello,

I have one more question:

Is the "Killer Intelligence Center" the same application like the one provided by Intel under the name "Intel® Killer™ Performance Suite"?

Thanks in advance and kind regards
nuctestit

nuctestit
New Contributor I

A short feedback:

I replaced the integrated Wi-Fi Card of my NUC8i7HVB

by the Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX1675x 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (210NGW) without any problems!

Kind regards

nuctestit

n_scott_pearson

Thanks for letting us know. Enjoy!

...S

nuctestit
New Contributor I

Hello!

But I suspect/fear that if I want to use a Wi-Fi 6E capable router at some point, I will also need to replace the internal antenna cables of the NUC8i7HVB with ones that support 6GHz frequencies. Currently I can't estimate how complex that will be.

Kind regards

nuctestit