Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products

Restore NVRAM?

ddos127
Beginner
Guru's
I inadvertently reset my NVRAM and am wondering if there is anything I can do to set it back to factory settings ?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Modern BIOS stores the BIOS Configuration in its flash component; the NVRAM is typically not used for this at all (well, other than to maintain the date and time). You should still be able to power on, enter BIOS Setup and then reset the BIOS Configuration to (optimal) defaults.

Hope this helps,

...S

ddos127
Beginner
Unfortunately that's not the case

Resetting the BIOS or even flashing a new BIOS has no effect, I'm still not able install an OS in EFI mode, my only option is legacy.
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The pearls of wisdom I have concerning proper UEFI boot and Windows 10 installation are:

• Make sure you have clean installation media. The media distributed by Microsoft has known issues. Best bet is to use the Microsoft Media Creation tool to download and install the latest image onto your media. This tool is available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10.
  • As BIOS POST, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS). Ensure that UEFI Boot is enabled. You can also disable Legacy Boot if you wish (I do unless there is a known issue with doing so). Use F10 to save the configuration and exit.
  • At BIOS POST, use the F10 key to open the boot menu and select the installation media from there.
  • When you get to the scene where you select where to install Windows 10, you should delete *all* existing partitions on (what is to be) your boot drive and then tell Windows 10 to install to the free space on this drive (which should be the entirety of the drive if you have deleted all partitions). This is required to ensure that the drive utilizes UEFI partitioning and that any Legacy partition table is replaced.

Hope this helps,

...S

ddos127
Beginner

Thanks.

If only it were that basic

The issue is efi is no longer available