Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12545 Discussions

SODIMM 1 slot not working

ptyork
Novice

Brand new NUC11PAHi5. 2 DIMMs. Either one works in the (upper) SODIMM 2 slot. Neither works in the (lower) SODIMM 1 slot...get a 3-blink error. Same if I populate both slots. Cursory check of the slot reveals no bent pins or obvious shorts. Any ideas or is this just an RMA situation?

1 Solution
ptyork
Novice

Just to close the conversation since Intel never chimed in, presumably this Intel board is as finicky about RAM as were first gen Ryzen boards. The behavior I experienced seems to be indicative of unsupported RAM. This same RAM (PNY XLR8 16GB PC4-26400 3200MHz 1.2V CL20) might work fine for you as it is known to work in some NUC11PAHi5/7 units. But apparently some combination of BIOS settings and, uhh, something seems to make it not work in all units. So, avoid this RAM despite it seeming to check all of the required boxes for compatibility.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

And, the exact model numbers of your sodimms are?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

ATH
Novice

Same here with the same RAM

ptyork
Novice

That's creepy. Almost like you recorded me doing the same exact thing with the same exact things. Yes, it's the same RAM in the same slot(s) with the same issue(s) on mine. There must be some kind of incompatibility with this RAM. Perhaps someone at Intel can chime in. Seems to be perfectly fine in terms of specs. Certainly don't want to eat a restocking fee on this...

You say it worked for you on a prior BIOS? Was it an earlier one than 0041? Or maybe 0042 was an anomaly that actually worked?

ATH
Novice

It worked just fine with 0041 BIOS with Zero problems

when I updated the BIOS to 0043, I got the 3 blinking issue

ATH
Novice
I have the same problem but the upper one works the lower one doesn’t work this happened after updating BIOS 0043
ptyork
Novice

Mine came with 0041. Literally just unboxed it and turned it on this afternoon. So no BIOS changes. Though I suppose I could try to update it if that were a potential solution.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Stick with BIOS 41 or 42 until Intel puts out an updated BIOS. PA BIOS 43 also kills GFX output via TBT, so all round bad update.

...S

ptyork
Novice

Just to close the conversation since Intel never chimed in, presumably this Intel board is as finicky about RAM as were first gen Ryzen boards. The behavior I experienced seems to be indicative of unsupported RAM. This same RAM (PNY XLR8 16GB PC4-26400 3200MHz 1.2V CL20) might work fine for you as it is known to work in some NUC11PAHi5/7 units. But apparently some combination of BIOS settings and, uhh, something seems to make it not work in all units. So, avoid this RAM despite it seeming to check all of the required boxes for compatibility.