Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe M.2 write speed is too slow (only half of what it should be) on Intel NUC i7-8559U

I have an Intel NUC i7-8559U and i use a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe M.2

when i test the drive with the Samsung Magician Performance Benchmark tool i only get half the write speed that the drive is capable of (see attached screenshot).

are there some magic or hidden BIOS settings that make the drive work faster?

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32 GB RAM installed.

the drive has a temperature of about 50°C so there should no thermal throttling take place.

any help would be much appreciated!

btw - the drive has reserved 93GB for over provisioning and about 330GB are free on it, TRIM is enabled.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Start with setting BIOS to default settings: enter Bios (F2), press F9(Y) and then F10 (Y).

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

One thing more, install the Samsung NVMe Driver.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

thanks for the reply LWAKSMAN!

Samsung NVMe Driver was already installed, forgot to mention that

did the reset of the BIOS to the default settings and tested again

it is definitely better but still not as fast as it should be, at least IMHO

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Please read this Samsung 970 EVO Plus review. Doesn't it concours with the result you got?

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

it's hard to say because i don't know which type of sequential read/write is used in the samsung magician benchmark tool...

it would be awesome if someone els out there has the sane SSD and could to the same benchmark so that i could compare real world data

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi FArro,

I dont have much to add to this discussion but what I would recommend is that you may try IOMeter tool which is available here: http://www.iometer.org/ run some tests, compare with the Samsung Magician Performance Benchmark tool and if still not satisfied with the results, you can send me the config file used in IOMeter and I can run an equivalent test but using Intel SSDs and we can compare.

Thanks,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Ronny_Intel,

that's a good idea, i've treid to get iometer to work but it's a very confusing tool :-)

Do you have a configuration i could use to make a test?

thanks

FArro

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi FArro,

My sincere apologies for the delay in getting back you.
We migrated the community platform and your post was misrouted during the process.
Please let me know if you still would like to compare IOMeter results, I can run it on a similar system and provide you with my results and of course with the IOMeter config file.

Thanks,
Ronny G

0 Kudos