Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ASull3
Beginner

Screen sporadically becomes black on Intel NUC (NUC7i5BNH)

Another problem I noticed and which is very annoying is the screen sporadically becomes black for a second on my Intel NUC. It does not seem the graphic driver crashes as there is no error message by Windows and the screen is only black for a second or two – after that all is as before.

• This behaviour only appears when I use both monitors. When I only use Monitor 1 I don't have this problem.
  • When I put a YouTube video into fullscreen on Monitor 2 (Google Chrome) the behaviour appears. When I move a Window from Monitor 1 over this fullscreen on Monitor 2 (e. g. Windows Task Manager) the behaviour is no longer present. When I change to fullscreen again so the Windows is minimized the screen sporadically becomes black again. That is very mysterious.

Model: NUC7i5BNH (Date of Manufacture: 06/2017), SA J3**** - 305

SSD: Samsung 960 Evo M.2

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4-2133 SO-DIMM CL15 Single (CT8G4SFD8213)

Monitor 1: Dell P2715Q (3840x2160), DisplayPort over USB-C

Monitor 2: Dell U2715H (2560x1140), HDMI

Drivers: Up to date. I use BIOS version 0062.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Knorpel,

I understand that currently you are experiencing an issue with dual monitor as it seems that the screens go black.

Regarding this, To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Also, please let me know if you are using any kind of adapter or only USB-C and HDMI to HDMI.

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello Knorpel,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
ASull3
Beginner

Thank you. Currently I'm waiting for my dealer as the NUC was sent back to the dealer for replacement.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Knorpel,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Have you tried the replacement unit?

Is it still giving you problems or is it working fine?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
ASull3
Beginner

Hello David,

unfortunately I'm still waiting for replacement. The dealer said he sent it back to Intel and is waiting now

idata
Community Manager

Hello Knorpel,

Thank you for your response,

Glad to know you will be having your unit soon again. Please let me know after you have tested the replacement to see if the issue has been resolved. I am here to help.

Regards,

David V
ASull3
Beginner

Today I received a new Intel NUC unit back. I'll update all drivers first and then start testing if the issue persists

ASull3
Beginner

Hello David,

I can confirm the problem persists also on the new Intel NUC. I do not use any adapters for USB-C or HDMI.

I attached you the report from DxDiag

idata
Community Manager

Hello Knorpel,

I can see that the problem is not related to the NUC hardware then since 2 different units have been tested. Since this is the case, I want you to try a driver version older than the one you currently have, this is for testing purposes.

Let us try with this version first, please download the ".zip" file from the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27349/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NU... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27349/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NU...

Once the file is downloaded, follow the steps below in order to rollback the driver:

1 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

4 - Expand the Display adapters section.

5 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

11 - Select the file type "information" ".INF"

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

13 - Reboot your computer

Let us know the outcome please.

Regards,

David V
ASull3
Beginner

Hello David,

thank you for your fast answer, I really appreciate that.

Unfortunately the new NUC has died a few minutes ago. It suddenly turned of after running about 6 hours and when I tried to start it again this happened:

Now the NUC does not react at all when pressing the power button.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Knorpel,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,

David V
ASull3
Beginner

I've now changed the RAM, SSD and PSU of the NUC - but the problem still persists. I will send the NUC back to the seller and hope the 3rd NUC will be fine.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Knorpel,

Thank you for keeping us updated about this issue. I hope it gets resolved when you receive the new unit. If it is not resolved, you can definitely contact us, and we will be glad to provide a solution to this issue as soon as possible.

Wanner G.
ASull3
Beginner

Hi,

today I got my 3rd Intel NUC. I hope that this time it doesn't stop working again