cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rndpig
Beginner

Screen unexpectedly not detected on NUC8i3CYSM1

Jump to solution

I purchased my NUC8i3CYSM1 in Jan 2019 and it serves a dedicate purpose in solely running a small CNC router (no other task than this). The NUC has been performing beautifully, but out of nowhere, the miniPC will display the NUC loading screen (with spinning circle) and when the startup routine appears to be handing off to Windows, the screen says it has no HDMI signal and goes into power saving mode. I've already tried replacing the HDMI cable, switching both old and new cables from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 ports, and even used an HDMI-to-DP to ensure that it wasn't a bad connection on my monitor. My NUC has always been connected to a Dell P2418HT 23.8" Touch Monitor (1920 x 1080) without any issues. I noticed that Windows performed an update recently and I believe there was a display driver update in that package, but I have no way to revert the drivers if I can't get the NUC to load Windows. Finally, I did update the NUC BIOS to the latest version and I've followed all NUC troubleshooting steps as specified on the Intel website and as derived from multiple posts in this forum. I see that many are having display issues, so can anyone please provide some guidance as to what my next steps should be?

Regards,

Ryan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Ryan,

You may return to the last working configuration from Advanced Option Menu. This menu you can reach after booting from Window Installation Media USB:

1.    Boot from your Windows 10 installation USB.

2.    Select your language preferences and click/tap on Next.

3.    Click/tap on Repair your computer at the bottom.

4.    Click/tap on Troubleshoot.

5.    Click/tap on Advanced options.

6.    Click/tap on System Restore (use a restore point recorder on your PC to restore Windows).

7.    If prompted, click/tap on an administrator and follow the instruction on screen. Select the restore point form the list.

8.    After few Nexts, click Finish confirmed by Yes - the restore will start.

9.    Your PC will now restart and perform a System Restore. 

10. When the System Restore has completed successfully, click/tap on Restart.

Hope this helps

Leon

Note:

You may reach the Advanced Menu also by repeatably pressing F8 key during boot (when you see the Intel Nuc logo), instead of using Windows Installation USB.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Ryan,

You may return to the last working configuration from Advanced Option Menu. This menu you can reach after booting from Window Installation Media USB:

1.    Boot from your Windows 10 installation USB.

2.    Select your language preferences and click/tap on Next.

3.    Click/tap on Repair your computer at the bottom.

4.    Click/tap on Troubleshoot.

5.    Click/tap on Advanced options.

6.    Click/tap on System Restore (use a restore point recorder on your PC to restore Windows).

7.    If prompted, click/tap on an administrator and follow the instruction on screen. Select the restore point form the list.

8.    After few Nexts, click Finish confirmed by Yes - the restore will start.

9.    Your PC will now restart and perform a System Restore. 

10. When the System Restore has completed successfully, click/tap on Restart.

Hope this helps

Leon

Note:

You may reach the Advanced Menu also by repeatably pressing F8 key during boot (when you see the Intel Nuc logo), instead of using Windows Installation USB.

View solution in original post

rndpig
Beginner

Thank you, I should have thought of that myself! I’m currently restoring to an earlier point, so hopefully that fixes the problem.

rndpig
Beginner

Actually, I discovered that Windows wasn't able to be recovered to either of the two restore points that were available. After that failed, I double checked that it wasn't a cabling issue (tried different HDMI and even HDMI-to-DP) and then my only recourse was to reset to factory state. I was able to pull off my CNC software configuration and backup files, which was key. After using the Advanced Menu to reset the computer and reinstall Windows, I came to learn that the same boot issue remained, where it clearly displayed the NUC splash screen (suggesting the BIOS loaded), but upon hand-off to Windows, the monitor goes into power saving mode due to no HDMI signal. Therefore, I am now in the process of initiating an RMA to get the NUC replaced.

LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. It will be interesting to check if booting into Windows in SAFE mode may fix this problem.
  2. You know how to reach Command prompt from Advance Menu.
  3. In Command Prompt, please write the following command and press Enter: bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal 
  4. Close the Command Prompt window by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the Command Prompt window.
  5.  Select Continue and sign in to Windows 
  6. While in Windows, press Windows key + r. Run msconfig
  7. Chose Boot tab and uncheck Safe boot. Reboot your system. 

Leon

rndpig
Beginner

I've opened an RMA ticket, so this thread will be closed soon. Before that occurs, however, I wanted to relay that I attempted to boot Windows in safe mode (via a different method, because using that method described above failed), and the same behavior occurred in that the screen went to 'no HDMI signal' as soon as the Intel NUC splash screen went away.