Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

Second SSD drive

francois3
Novice

Hello,

My (UEFI) "bios" NUC8i3BEH  doesn't recognize my second SSD drive (i want boot to this disk).

Can you help me please ?

Thank you (if you speak french it's better......).

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Is there anything on the second SSD to boot?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

francois3
Novice

I have installed ubuntu to this disk , i see it with kubuntu or windows (no installed and he say 0 clusters) or gparted; but the UEFI" bios" can't see it. (sorry for very approximated english).

Thank you for help.

AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

francois3
Novice

Thank you very much for the "manoeuvre", i see the result and i don't see my second disk.

very strange.

Thank you for help

Maybe the UEFI "bios" can start only on the fist drive ? French information is poor.

Thank you.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No, it can support booting from secondary drives. When you power on, use the F10 key to get to the boot menu. If your drive is not in the list, then you cannot boot from whatever image is installed on it (hint: Linux should be installed in UEFI mode, not Legacy). If your drive is in the list, then select it and see if it can be booted. If it can't, you may have to reload it again (and make sure it's in UEFI mode). If it can be booted, then the next step is to restart the system and use the F2 key to get into BIOS Setup. In the Boot settings, change the boot order to have this drive be at the top of the list.

Hope this helps.

...S

francois3
Novice

Hello, thank you for help,

I see that in BIOS UEFI:

PCI configuration M.2 Slot (CT 250 etc...)

chipset sata +

sata port +

sata port not installed

M2 sata CT 250 etc....

Maybe the port for second disk is not installed ?

For update bios: no files in choose a bio file at fs0:\ EFI\

Ubuntu\ no file

Boot\ no file

I think I didn’t upgrade the bios. (it's better !!!).

Thank you for help

Maria_R_Intel

Hello francois3,

Thank you for posting on the Intel community.

I found this thread under your name: https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/Disque-dur/m-p/1233399#M78590

We just noticed that it is a duplicate from this thread. We will continue with the support on the original thread, and close this one, to avoid duplication of effort.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician