cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JRayn3
New Contributor II

Secure Boot

Jump to solution

I have just purchased and set up an NUC8i7BEH. I am super-pleased with it.

I have just run a Belarc Advisor and the only item it flags up is the following:

Boot Mode: UEFI with Secure Boot disabled.

My question is whether I should enable Secure Boot or leave well alone.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @JRayn3​ ,

You probably know that Secure Boot is a future implemented in UEFI Bios to protect your computer from malware—called a rootkit—from loading when you start your computer. When the NUC starts, Secure Boot firmware checks the signature of each piece of boot software, including firmware drivers and the operating system. If the signatures are good, the firmware gives control to the operating system. It is recommended to disable Secure Boot before installing Windows and to enable it afterword. However if you intend to use Linux, the Secure Boot should be disabled.

Leon

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @JRayn3​ ,

You probably know that Secure Boot is a future implemented in UEFI Bios to protect your computer from malware—called a rootkit—from loading when you start your computer. When the NUC starts, Secure Boot firmware checks the signature of each piece of boot software, including firmware drivers and the operating system. If the signatures are good, the firmware gives control to the operating system. It is recommended to disable Secure Boot before installing Windows and to enable it afterword. However if you intend to use Linux, the Secure Boot should be disabled.

Leon

View solution in original post

JRayn3
New Contributor II

I am obliged, Leon, for your complete answer. Windows has indeed just been installed (by others) and I will now enable Secure Boot especially in view of the positive benefits it gives.

Thank you again.