Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11312 Discussions

Serious problems with D34010WYB & D54250WYB and USB 3.0

GTobi1
New Contributor II

Hello,

Have a number of systems built using the above NUCs and all are experienceing severe problems with USB3.0 devices and Windows 8.1

Problems include...

System will not boot with USB 3.0 devices attached.

System regularly will not sleep with USB 3.0 devices attached.

If system does sleep it will not wake up with keyboard or mouse activity.

Frequent disconnects of USB 3.0 device.

Problems occur with...

USB 3.0 Hubs

USB 3.0 HDDs

USB 3.0 Card Readers

USB 3.0 Memory Keys

USB 3.0 Mobile Phones.

All drivers used are latest as per Intel site and latest BIOS (25).

I see from this community that others are having similar problems. All the deviices listed above worked flawlessly on ASUS & Gigabyte 8 Series boards and also with Intel 7 Series boards so the NUC is 100% to blame.

Is this a driver / firmware fault that will be resolved by an update or is it a hardware fault that needs an RMA to resolve?

12 Replies
JAnde23
New Contributor II

But the problem does not occur with USB 3.0 SSDs (at least with Intel 520 series).

MKost5
Beginner

Good afternoon

+1 with the same problem, I am in endless bootloop until I disconnect the USB hub and disks. ( NUC 3217 )

can we expect any fix for that, please?

Thank You

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I am sorry you are having problems with this. Please note that we have received reports from other customers and we are investigating this issue. We are working on this in a different post so I recommend you to check the other post since all updates will be provided there:

/thread/49740 https://communities.intel.com/thread/49740

MKost5
Beginner

Hi Kevin

thanks for reply, I will look for the solution here - and btw, I need to report I just love the idea of NUC

Cheers

MJK

NAli3
Beginner

Hi Kevin

Similar problems on USB 3.0 on this thread too, including my complaint:

Plenty frustration online. We really need a fix. I went through 3 external hard disk array till I realized it was the NUC. Going through the logs you can see that USB 3.0 powers down after a while and cannot see it again until the device is replugged into the USB port.

Many thanks

Nas

GTobi1
New Contributor II

Kevin,

That link is to a dead end thread with with no replies since march.

I know how Intel work and if they are looking into something since the 26th of March it means they KNOW there is a problem and CAN'T fix it.

So should we RMA now or continue wasting our time hoping for a fix?

Regards,

GT

NAli3
Beginner

Hi GT, I've sent their Support team a note. If I don't hear back on a roadmap to fix the issue, I'll let you know, but RMA looking more likely.

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

I know and I completely understand your frustration. I would feel the same if I were facing this problem with my NUC but it is important to say that we are working towards a solution. This is escalated to development team but we have no updates yet.

Thanks for your patience.

NAli3
Beginner
Hi Kevin, thanks for your response.I have officially raised this with the support people. They appear to be saying that the NUC does not officially support Linux. They did not indicate any activity to resolve this issue.Please can you provide some timelines so that we know if it will be resolved or should we all collectively RMA our NUCs on the basis of this problem and the official stance not to support Linux? Should the message around the lack of Linux support be propagated to avoid others having the same issue?Linux appears to have no problem taking the storage off standby and back online, it's the power drop over USB that kills the communication from what I can see.Thanks again

Nas

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Nas,

We are working on this. We are investigating this issue to provide the solution for our customers.

NAli3
Beginner

Default non-answer from Intel support

{ticketno:[8000921532]} - Your Intel Customer Support Inquiry

mailto:support.replies@mailbox.intel.com support.replies@mailbox.intel.comTo Me

https://uk-mg42.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch https://uk-mg42.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch

Today at 11:14 AM

Dear Mr Ali,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Customer Support.

Unfortunately intel does not have information about possible future fixes.

Please note that not all USB devices are compatible with the NUCs due to power requirements.

We can only recommend to install latest BIOS/driver versions and use tested peripherals.

Thank you for understanding.

If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

========

Intel Customer Support

Nuno ~~START~~

A representative of Intel may subsequently contact you by email in order to obtain your feedback on the quality of the support you received.

Agent is under contract to Intel.

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Nas,

Please be aware that we are working on this. This is escalated and I will provide updates soon.