Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Serious problems with Gigabyte Gamingbox RX 580 and nuc8i5BEH

Jump to solution

Good evening,

I've bought 4 in total 4 nucs to run my home VMware lab, and everything works well.    1 of these 4 doubles as my workstation (and virtual ESXi host).   It's the nuc8i5BEH, it's equipped with 32GB Ram, and 1TB Samsung 860 EVO and has the Iris Plus Graphics 655.     It runs games reasonable,  but I wanted a bit more, and there was the opportunity to buy the eGPU from Gigabyte (used) for 400€

I thought: the NUC is pure Intel, Thunderbolt is Intel, and eGPU is plug and play.... Right?

NO.

Everytime my nuc crashed, frooze, stopped responding.    I got 3DMark running for about 30sec.

Using intel driver and support assistant,  my nuc is fully up to date. Bios,driver, drivers are all up to date

I run windows 10 2004 (build 19041.329)

If I enable the thunderbolt connection: the systems freezes,  goes a bit further, and than I end up with a black screen.

I created a second bootpartition with Windows 10 build 1809, with the hope of getting things to run.  But no such luck.

Getting desperate here...  (thank god, for gmail, office 365, and NAS solutions )

In attachment you'll find the result from system support utility

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Alberto,

The problems are solved,  my suspicion was correct.  I think I've written that I've bought the egpu secondhand,  the AMD Radeon card was bad.   I ordered a Geforce 1660 ITX Super OC, got it today, and replace the AMD.. I bought the Geforce because AMD is known for their buggy unstable drivers.  And what do you know: suddenly TB3 EGPU's is plug&play.

I've tested it first with monitor connected to the nuc,  ran a few tests and now my monitor is connected to the egpu..  I've run a number of tests with 3Dmark, and the system is stable and performs very very good.

The only small "issue" is the fact the post screen is not displayed through the egpu, but that it's a minor inconvienence.      All these power on and power off aren't helping the system either..  

TB3 is running very nice on an Intel nuc8i5BEH, with Windows 10 2004 OS build 19041.329, with TB3 driver version 1.41.769.0, and application 1.0.25.0.

I'm going to remove the old windows install, and extend my partition again.

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Kind regards

Marino

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

Marino, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

When did you purchase Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i5BEH?

How are you connecting the video card to the Intel® NUC?

After installing the Gigabyte Gamingbox RX 580, did the Intel® NUC work fine at some point or the issue happened since day 1?

You mentioned that you have 4 Intel® NUCs, just to confirm, are they the same model?

Do you have the option to test the Gigabyte Gamingbox RX 580 card on one of the other NUCs just to confirm if the problem is the same?

When you mentioned the Intel® NUC crashes, does that happen when playing games only or just by using it normally?

If the problem happens just with games, does it happened with all of them or just with some of them? Please provide a list of the games.

Since the Intel® NUC works with the Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 655 controller, we can try to install Intel® Graphics driver version 27.20.100.8336:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29674/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=140931

Set the Power Mode in NUC BIOS to: High Performance

Switch off PCI Link Power Management in Windows Power Settings.

Install the Thunderbptl driver version 66:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28735/Thunderbolt-3-DCH-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NU...

I looked on the list of tested peripherals for the Intel® NUC, and the video card is not showing in there, it does not mean is not fully compatible, is just that it has not been tested by Intel®:

https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC#

Did you check with Gigabyte to confirm if the Gigabyte Gamingbox RX 580 is fully compatible with the Intel® NUC and if maybe there is a firmware update or drivers updates for it:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Support

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Alberto,

Thank you very much for your reply, as I have (again) wasted an evening trying to get it to work.

I purchased at on 23 december 2018.   The eGPO is connected through the thunderbolt interface.. (which should be, as I am told, Plug and Play). It's not

The nuc itself has been doing a double task as being my desktop PC and running (at the same time) a virtualised ESXi instance (VMware workstation), to complement my vSphere LAB, that has another 3 nucs running vsphere on bare metal))

The other nucs are of an older generation: they are Nuc7i5BNH  (only dual core I5), and are running dedicated vSphere.  Not so readily done

The NUC by itself works flawlessly:  I have been playing (corona bored ),  GTA V at not to bad setting, and it was able to run it pretty well on the internal GPU.. (granted, the fans were loud :), but it did it very well.   Even for multiple hours, no errors,no crashes... Just fine

I never had it crash on me..

With the egpu I don't get to the point of gaming.  As soon as I plug it in, and I see the AMD XConnect banner popping,  the system halts.   It totally stops: no more mouse movements, no reaction to the numlock key.

At this moment I have a dual boot setup: one with my work environment (desktop), and one to mess with drivers.   The primary environment is windows 10 (64bit) built 2004,  the other is 1809

About the intel iris driver,  I'm at 26.20.100.8141 .  But I'll try the really new one

The nuc in in BIOS and in windows: at full performance.

The tunderbolt driver is for windows 10 2004  1.41.769.0, application version 1.0.25.0. With these version I can't update the firmware of egpu box.. (the other windows 10 1809, with thunderbolt driver 16.2.55.275 allowed me to flash to firmware of the box.

I disabled link power management.

I can try to reach out to gigabyte, but on their support site there are only 4 updates, all related to fan noise, and Thunderbolt bandwidth.  I applied the firmware to maximaze bandwith

I am getting to the point that I suspect the radeon GFX card in the box.

I have found a youtube video showing an nuci8i5bek running eGPUs, so it should be possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhZQNyaK3Nc&t=30s

Many thanks for your help

Kind regards

Marino

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Marino, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information.

At this point, please try to install Intel® Graphics driver version 27.20.100.8336 and once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Alberto,

The problems are solved,  my suspicion was correct.  I think I've written that I've bought the egpu secondhand,  the AMD Radeon card was bad.   I ordered a Geforce 1660 ITX Super OC, got it today, and replace the AMD.. I bought the Geforce because AMD is known for their buggy unstable drivers.  And what do you know: suddenly TB3 EGPU's is plug&play.

I've tested it first with monitor connected to the nuc,  ran a few tests and now my monitor is connected to the egpu..  I've run a number of tests with 3Dmark, and the system is stable and performs very very good.

The only small "issue" is the fact the post screen is not displayed through the egpu, but that it's a minor inconvienence.      All these power on and power off aren't helping the system either..  

TB3 is running very nice on an Intel nuc8i5BEH, with Windows 10 2004 OS build 19041.329, with TB3 driver version 1.41.769.0, and application 1.0.25.0.

I'm going to remove the old windows install, and extend my partition again.

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Kind regards

Marino

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Marino, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that you were able to replace the eGPU with the Geforce 1660 ITX Super OC and now the Intel® NUC is working properly with it.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos