cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Slow transfer speeds when copying from external SSD to external SSD

Hello all

I have a NUC8i7HNK with 16GB of RAM. The internal SSD is Samsung 970 Evo 1TB.

I also have two external SSDs: Samsung T3 (USB 3.0) exFAT formatted and Samsung T5 (USB 3.1 Gen2) NTFS formatted.

I want to transfer 500GB of files from T3 to T5. I connected the T5 in the front USB-C port of the NUC and I tried with the T3 in both front USB-A ports of the NUC.

The máximum transfer speed I can get is 90MB/s . Is that normal?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Vigalpo,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

I understand that you are concerned about the transfer speed between two external solid-state drives on an Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HNK. I would like to provide some information about this issue.

In these cases, my first recommendation is that you can do research about the performance of these SSDs and compare the results since performance depends on different factors such as file sizes.

Try rebooting your Intel® NUC and performing these steps to compare the performance of your SSDs.

1.Transfer files from your external drive to your internal drive.

2.Transfer files from your internal drive to your external drive.

3.Transfer files between both external drives.

Additionally, make sure you have the latest firmware update for your SSDs.

Please let me know of the results.

Wanner G.
idata
Community Manager

Hello Wanner G.

First, thank you for your quick answer.

After my first call for help I updated the BIOS to the latest versión HNKBLi70.86A.00.37.EB (I think it was 24). The disks firmware and Windows 10 were already up to date.

Then, with a 6,44GB folder containing 230 files 27-29MB each, I did the test you requested:

Internal SSD is Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

Samsung T3 1TB connected in yellow USB-A front port (Peformance reported by Samsung Magician software is 432 MB/s read, 393 MB/s write)

Samsung T5 1TB connected in the USB-C front port (Performance reported by Samsung Magician software is 549 MB7s read, 514 MB/s write)

Transfer speeds were (near peak speeds as reported by Windows 10 during copy) :

Internal SSD -> T3 : 280 MB/s

T3 -> Internal SSD : 370 MB/s

Internal SSD -> T5 : 361MB/s

T5 -> Internal SSD : 440MB/s

T3 -> T5 : 330 MB/s

T5 -> T3 : 278 MB/s

All the speeds are well above the 90 MB/s and for me the problem is solved. The differences with the synthetic performance are really unimportant to me. Can we say the BIOS update solved the problem?

Thank you again and best regards

idata
Community Manager

Hello Vigalpo,

It is great to know that the performance of your SSDs improved a lot after performing a BIOS update.

BIOS updates usually contain performance improvements and fixes that enhance functionality. By having the latest BIOS and firmware updates, performance may improve as BIOS will support SSDs.

In addition, compatibility issues occur if systems are not up to date. It seems that they were fixed by having all components up to date.

Wanner G.