Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12322 Discussions

Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller causes USB audio devices to fail

MiPo
Beginner

Hello!

USB Audio devices that work flawless on every other Win10 machine, fail to work on my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9 with Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio driver version 10.29.0.6367

All Win10 updates are installed, BIOS is up to date. Please find the system support utility output attached.

Failure description:
SpeechMike Premium Touch SMP3700 has a distorted playback (see SMP3700.zip).
Jabra Speak 710 fails to playback at all with the OS error message "Failed to play test tone".

No 3rd party software is involved for the playback test, simply hit the "Test" button on the advanced tab of the speaker properties (see attached screenshot).

Lenovo Support suggests to switch to High Definition Audio Controller driver which indeed solves the USB audio issue, but renders the internal mic/speaker of the notebook useless. Therefore this is no solution. It must be possible that USB audio devices and the internal audio devices both work with one set of drivers, like with any other notebook out there.

Any help is highly appreciated.

BR,

Michael

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @MiPo

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Intel is not able to validate compatibility between USB Audio devices and third-party systems like laptops. In regards to this behavior, we would like to inform you that the Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST) Driver is not posted to intel.com website (the driver is provided directly to the computer manufacturers) and we don't provide support for this on third-party systems.

For drivers and support for Intel® Smart Sound Technology on your laptop, we recommend that you refer back to your computer vendor (OEMs) for your laptop as they can provide you with the required support.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this request now. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

fdst1920
Beginner

Hello @MiPo ,

I have the same issue with the same hardware and drivers/firmwares versions.

I'm in touch with Lenovo but the only reply is to "try the OEM image" and so no patching, no up-to-date drivers, ...

Have you find something? We're facing a lot of issues when we switch audio devices with Teams software... Jabra Evolve 75 for example switch to Jabra Link 710 and then no more sound in the Evolve 75 if we switch back to this device.

Thanks for your help

MiPo
Beginner

Hi,

I'm in close contact with Lenovo for the last month but so far they could not provide a solution.
This is very unsatisfying but I will not give up pushing Lenovo to find a solution and will keep you posted here.
Using the recovery image is no solution, because I did that already like 10 times in the past.

Best,

Michael

peteriron
Beginner

@MiPo @mandrew 

Same issue for me with Jabra 710.  On other laptops and desktops, it uses the "USB Audio Device", not the "Smart Sound Technology Audio".

Looking for intel to acknowledge and correct or supply workaround.

MiPo
Beginner

I'd like to update this thread with my findings:

After a long support battle with Lenovo I've got the answer that their statement of limited warranty does not cover any software programs, whether pre-loaded or shipped with the Machine, or installed subsequently. So no support from Lenovo in this case, but also no support from Intel according to the 2nd post. So no support from nobody.

fdst1920
Beginner

Hello @MiPo , please note that we resolved our issues with the last audio drivers provided by Lenovo on the support site.

Did you give a try?

Best regards

peteriron
Beginner

Hi @fdst1920 , could you share the link to those drivers?  What was the name of the driver?  Thanks!

peteriron
Beginner

I wonder if there is a way to force the Jabra 710 device to use a different driver (USB Audio Device)?

Simba
Beginner