Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

[Solved] NUC8i3BEH: missing storage driver (Windows 10 installation)

Hi,

I recently picked up a NUC8i3BEH in combination with the Samsung 970 Evo Plus, and I cannot seem to install Windows 10 on the machine. The drive, connected via M.2 is properly recognized in the BIOS. I've also successfully installed Ubuntu 19.04 on the system before. However, when attempting to install Windows 10 via USB (image created using dd on Linux), I'm faced with a seemingly common error message about a missing USB, DVD or storage driver.

Any suggestions how to approach this issue?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Do not use a Linux created stick. Use this procedure to install W10:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004Icw2bSAB/problems-with-microsoft-supplied-windows-10-i...

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Remember too that UEFI *must* be enabled and used if a NVMe SSD is used.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Well, I had read this before and frankly thought it was irrelevant, but alas, you're right. I managed to install Windows after creating the USB image via Windows. I still find it quite odd that you get to the install screen with the image created in Linux, but no further.

Anyway, now I'm facing the next issue. After updating the system and installing the driver package for the NUC, my monitor connected via HDMI (to DVI) remains blank. The system is active since I can blindly open up a cmd shell and shutdown the system via "shutdown /h".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

The use of adapters is not supported. Some may work, others may not. And, the quality of the hdmi cable is very important.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

It's one of those AmazonBasic HDMI to DVI cables. What confuses me is that the cable works fine before installing the driver package. I guess at this point the only choice I have is to reinstall the system and install every driver one by one to see when it ceases to work properly to pinpoint the culprit. This is turning into a slightly frustrating exercise I have to say.

Either way, thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

You were correct once again. I tried again with a two-sided HDMI cable and this time everything went through without a hitch, so the HDMI to DVI cable was the culprit. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Glad you have it working.

Doc

0 Kudos