cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

[Solved] Nuc7i3BNH bios and screen display

Hi,

I just acquired this nuc and I cannot access the bios, or should I say I cannot see the bios.

I tried​ pressing the F2 button, I tried the power button menu, I tried the yellow jumper off option, I tried to update the bios, I even tried without the motherboard battery... in every single scenario I have nothing on my screen ! regarding the bios.

But there no problem with the screen display on linux.​

How can I access the bios to change my OS please​.

Thanks for you help.​

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

1. Are you using PC monitor or are you connected to TV?
  2. Is the Bios Security Jumper installed between pins 1-2? See page 55 in the Technical Product Specification.
  3. When connected to PC monitor (rather than to TV), with the Bios Security Jumper removed, without USB stick with Bios file inserted into USB port. you should be able to boot into Configuration Menu - see page 56 in TPS.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

1) First on a PC monitor and then on a TV. Still nothing onscreen.

2) I replaced the jumper on 1-2 position when trying to start normally. Bios display is still invisible but linux works fine.

3) Already tried, still blackscreen. Everything seems working fine but the screen still black...

It's like it was set to be this to prevent any intrusion or something but the jumper off boot should have repaired​ that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Well, it can be caused by some old boot entries in the EFI boot? I'm not an expert for Linux, however, please see this video how to check this. There is a lot other posts in net about this problem.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I watched the video and the boot management seems legit. It runs in this order : ubuntu (grub i guess), ssd (the actual ubuntu distro) lan and​ finally the windows boot manager.

The main difficulty is that I cannot​ see any information during the boot sequence... So maybe everything is fine and I can enter all the bios menus, but in the end, I cannot see s**t!

The other issue being that I cannot enter any sudo command because​ I do not have the password...

This thing is driving me crazy! ​

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

The thing I would try now is Bios Recovery with the Security Jumper Removed method. It will not require any intervention from you and you don't need to see the Bios:

1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 with Bios file BN0081.bio . Format your USB with Quick Format option unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows.
  2. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
  3. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper.
  4. Insert the USB with the BN0081.bio file into rear USB slot. You may use also front yellow USB port.
  5. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
  6. When bios recovery is completed, press and hold the Power Button to switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.
  7. Power your NUC ON.
  8. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  9. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Already did but I did it again just in case​.

Still a blackscreen.

It seems like I can enter the BIOS because when I press the F2 key, the nuc​ does not boot the ubuntu OS. But no matter what I do, it does not display anything...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

While in Bios, please pres on F9 followed by "Y", to set Bios to default settings and then press F10, followed by "Y". This will save Bios setting and exit to Linux.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Already did, several times.

​It's like the BIOS cannot display anything onscreen but ubuntu can.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Okay ... the problem is solved :/

I can't say what worked, since I didn't go there step by step ....

SSD disconnected, without USB key.

I changed the source by connecting to HDMI1 on the monitor instead of 2.

I gently retried the manipulation with F2 hotkey: F2 after NumLock led turned itself on, 10 seconds after I pressed F9 to reset the bios parameters to default, 10 seconds after I pressed Y to accept the change, 10 seconds after I pressed F10 to save the modifications and finally I pressed Y to accept the save.

I then started with the live USB into the other rear slot and I finally saw the BIOS launch sequence ...

I turned off the nuc, reconnected the SSD, installed ubuntu without pressing any key and I have access to a normal computer now.

Thank you very much for your help LWAKSMAN : D

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I was glad to help you. Any way, setting the Bios to default setting helped.

Leon

0 Kudos