cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StepGer
Beginner

Sporadic problem with wake up from sleep mode

Jump to solution

My NUC8i5BEK2 has sometimes a problem when waking up from sleep mode. The SSD LED starts blinking as usual but the monitor keeps black although it also wakes from sleep.

After some seconds the NUC reboots.

This happens perhaps every third time when recovering from sleep and if I remember it right it is since the big windows 10 update to version 1809 three weeks ago.

The other times everything is ok and I can continue using windows as usual. (Although sometimes Intel display audio is not detected, but that's a minor problem.)

After such a system crash Windows event viewer shows event 41.

There's also an error from SystemErrorReporting, I've attached the details.

I had a look at c:\windows\memory.dmp with bluescreenview.

It highlights igdkmd64.sys and ntoskrnl.exe in today's dump file (see attachement).

Intel driver and support assistant sais everything is up to date.

There are no errors in the device manager.

System file checker (sfc/ scannow) found no problems.

Although I searched the web and found several similar problems there was no real solution.

Would it be any good to uninstall and reinstall the driver for Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655?

My system:

• INTEL NUC Barebone BOXNUC8i5BEK2
  • 250GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2
  • 8GB (1x 8192MB) Crucial CT8G4SFS824A DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM CL17 Single
  • Windows 10 Home 1809

If you need further system logs please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Stephan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, I think you should update the graphics driver. The 1809 update introduced support for DCH drivers. Intel's DCH-compliant graphics drivers started from build number 6444. The problem is that the installer cannot uninstall older, non-DCH driver packages; this has to be done manually. Here is the process to follow:

1. Download the latest driver installer to your NUC's System Drive. You can download it from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28437/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NU.... Do not attempt to install now.
  2. Disconnect the NUC from the Internet. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable Wireless access.
  3. Uninstall the current Intel HD Graphics driver from the Apps and Features Settings scene.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Install the DCH driver using the installer downloaded previously.
  6. Reboot.
  7. Reconnect to the Internet.
  8. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

3 Replies
n_scott_pearson

Yes, I think you should update the graphics driver. The 1809 update introduced support for DCH drivers. Intel's DCH-compliant graphics drivers started from build number 6444. The problem is that the installer cannot uninstall older, non-DCH driver packages; this has to be done manually. Here is the process to follow:

1. Download the latest driver installer to your NUC's System Drive. You can download it from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28437/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NU.... Do not attempt to install now.
  2. Disconnect the NUC from the Internet. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable Wireless access.
  3. Uninstall the current Intel HD Graphics driver from the Apps and Features Settings scene.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Install the DCH driver using the installer downloaded previously.
  6. Reboot.
  7. Reconnect to the Internet.
  8. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

StepGer
Beginner

Hello Scott,

thanks a lot for your quick answer.

I followed your instructions and there was no problem with installation.

By the way, why did I have to disable WiFi? There was a message at the start of installation that the driver could not be verified by Microsoft without WiFi, is it because of that?

After re-installation I tried sleep mode for 10 times and there were no problems. Also display audio was always working again.

So I think my problem is solved. If there should be further problems I will report.

I don't yet select your answer as best one because I noticed that then I can't write an answer myself anymore.

I have to say that I also had problems installing the latest Intel Ethernet and Bluetooth drivers.

The drivers were reported to be installed correctly by the installation routine, but driver and support assistant as well as Windows device manager still showed the old version number. I had to uninstall the drivers first and after reinstallation I really had the latest version.

It should be mentioned in the headline of Intel driver and support assistant, where the new DCH drivers are reported, that users should uninstall the old drivers first in case there are problems with the installation of the new version.

Regards, Stephan

n_scott_pearson

LOL! No, nothing nefarious like that. Disabling Internet access simply prevents Windows Update from sneaking in, updating something and thus screwing up the process (especially right after the reboot).

Yea, the blocking of subsequent posts is a ridiculous rule. I reported it as a problem early on in the implementation process (I was a beta tester for the site). The developers are going to look at this, but they have a lot of other issues - like platform stability across all browsers - ahead of this in the queue.

The issue with Wireless updating is that there are interdependencies between the Wireless and Bluetooth driver packages. In order to update properly, you need to uninstall both packages and then install the newer versions. A process similar to what was used with the non-DCH to DCH graphics driver upgrade is necessary:

1. Download (but do not install yet) the latest Bluetooth and Wireless packages and place somewhere on your system drive (desktop is fine). The latest drivers can be downloaded from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28511/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10 and here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28241/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters.
  2. Disable Internet access. Disconnect Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless.
  3. Uninstall the existing Bluetooth and Wireless driver packages (do this from Apps and Features Setting scene).
  4. Reboot.
  5. Install first the latest Bluetooth driver package.
  6. Install second the latest Wireless driver package.
  7. Reboot.
  8. Enable Internet access.
  9. Test.

The concept of Intel Driver and Support Assistant is for it to simplify the update process so that you don't need a Computer Science degree to be able to do so. This is a noble goal, but I haven't seen anyone be completely successfully meeting this goal. There are simply too many of these strange interdependency situations and special installation requirements that have to be handled. You end up with a special-case nightmare and high-maintenance code as a result. Microsoft is mostly to blame for this (the 1803 and 1807 updates have been an absolute friggin' disaster), but Intel's driver teams have screwed up way too many times themselves. My simplest example: considering the interdependencies that exist between the Bluetooth and Wireless packages, they should have been integrated into one installation package from day one (i.e. Intel only makes ICs that support both, after all).

See, ya got me venting...

...S