Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donliu
Beginner

Stereo mixer is missing in my NUC mini PC (Gen8)

I have an Intel 8th Gen i7-8650U 4-core, Win 10 Pro. I want to record audio from the computer sound. This requires setting the Stereo Mixer as the input. However, the Stereo mixer does not exist. I turned on the "display hidden devices" but there was none. I reinstalled the Realtek audio driver, still the stereo mixer is missing. Does anyone have the same problem?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Provide the full model number of your NUC.

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

donliu
Beginner

Here it is!

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @donliu

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Just to make sure, based on the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) report we noticed that your system is an Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7DNHE. Is this correct?

This Intel® NUC does not come with the Realtek* Audio Subsystem and audio is supported through the HDMI® 2.0a ports and the Audio drivers are built into the Graphics drivers. For more details, please refer to the Technical Product Specifications, section 1.8 Audio Subsystem Software, page 27

Since we also noticed (based on Intel® SSU report) that the system is reporting the following:

•  Sound Card: "e2eSoft iVCam"
  •  Sound Card: "USB Audio Device"

Could you please confirm if you are using a third-party USB Sound card connected to the Intel® NUC?

Have you tested connecting Bluetooth speakers/headset?

On another Intel® NUC (NUC7i5DNKPC) which also does not come with the Realtek* audio subsystem, I am able to record sound from the computer, for instance using Bluetooth speakers and the Intel® Graphics Command Center (BETA) recording feature.

Please provide detailed step-by-step instructions on how you are trying to record audio from the computer and please let us know the software that you are using.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

donliu
Beginner

Hi, Andrew,

The computer model# is correct. I am not using another sound card.

• Sound Card: "e2eSoft iVCam"  --- This is a driver for an android phone app that connects my phone to the PC as a video com
  •  Sound Card: "USB Audio Device" --- This is a Logitec USB headphone/microphone

I have also a Bluetooth speaker, which works well.

Here is what I do to try to record the PC sound:

1) Run Windows Voice Recorder - It complains "You need to set up a microphone in Settings"

2) I open the Sounds, Recording. There is no stereo mixer (attached)

Don

donliu
Beginner

Here another screen capture

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @donliu

Thank you very much for the information provided. Please allow us to check this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as we have more details available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @donliu

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Since the Intel® NUC does not come with the Realtek* Audio Subsystem, meaning that there is neither microphone/headphone jack nor Digital microphone array (DMICS) connector (internal) built-in in this device (as these Intel® NUCs are targeted for the Business Market), we understand that you are using a Logitec USB headphone/microphone and/or an Android* phone.

As per our research, it seems that Stereo Mixer is available for certain sound cards (when the hardware has the support of it) and Stereo Mixer might not be available if using a sound card that its hardware does not support the feature or when using generic drivers (for instance, from the Microsoft* Update Service).

To show and enable Stereo Mixer under "Windows Sound Recording settings" it is required to confirm that the sound card supports the feature and the proper drivers from the sound card manufacturer are being used.

We are wondering if you have tested these external microphone devices with other apps. For instance, conference or video call apps like Skype*, Zoom*, Teams*, etc. If you did, is the microphone working fine with those apps? Is it recognized and do you have audio input?

Do you see the microphone (e.g. the Logitech* one) under Device Manager with an OK working status? (without errors)?

If the answer to those questions is yes, then this could be a compatibility or limitation issue with the Voice Recorder app and the external microphone/sound card and/or its drivers.

You may check under Windows® Settings > Privacy > check that "Microphone access for this device" is on. Also, check that the microphone access for the Voice Recorder app is set to On.

However, if the issue persists, our recommendation is to check this further with the sound card manufacturer (for instance, Logitech Support*) for the latest drivers available and as well for additional information and debugging if needed.

Note:

1- For more details about hardware components and features supported for the Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7DNHE, please check the Technical Product Specifications.

2- For testing purposes, we reviewed this on a system with a built-in Realtek sound card using generic drivers from Windows*, the Stereo Mixer was not showing under "Recording Devices". However, once we installed the latest and customized driver for the sound card, the option showed up under "Recording Devices" which pointed out to our previous conclusion that the feature highly depends upon hardware and driver support. Please check the screenshots attached.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

donliu
Beginner

Hi, Andrew,

Thanks for the suggestions. The Logitech microphone is working and I can record voice with Voice Recorder.

What I want is to record the PC sound, not the  microphone. For example, recording the sound of a video clip that I play from the internet. I am able to do this on my other computers. As long as there is the Stereo Mixer this can be done.

I am a little confused about the sound card. Is it a hardware in the NUC? or is it in the Logitech USB headset? If it is in the NUC, why am I not seeing the stereo mixer?

Don

Aranda556
Beginner

Update the HDMI firmware. In the event that your Intel NUC isn't on this rundown, possibly it doesn't utilize LS-PCON or there isn't at present a HDMI firmware update accessible.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @donliu

Thank you for your response.

We did understand that your goal is to record sound from the PC and for this stereo mixer is needed. The questions about if the microphone works fine to record sound were just to make sure it (and the Intel® NUC) is working as expected for the normal purpose (recording sounds from voice or external sources).

As we previously described, Stereo Mixer is available only for certain sound cards like Realtek*.

Yes, when we referred to "sound card" we meant a hardware component.

This Intel® NUC does not come with the Realtek* Audio Subsystem, meaning, there is no such hardware in the Intel® NUC ("Realtek* sound card"), so the only devices that could provide such functionality would be the USB headset (or the phone that you are using as a video camera...), of course, if they support that feature.

Having said that, what we recommend is to check directly with Logitech support to see if that feature is supported by the hardware of the USB headset and its drivers.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Note:

Stereo Mixer will not record if the audio is outputted via HDMI/other sources since "HDMI is a separate soundcard".

donliu
Beginner

Hi Andrew, thanks for the explanation & tutorial! 

AndrewG_Intel

Hello donliu

Sure, it has been a pleasure to assist you with these inquiries. Since there are no additional questions in the thread, we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.