Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HRiaz
Beginner

Stuttering with Plex media server (1080p and 4k) and playback of 4k content on VLC

Hi,

I have two issues which I was hoping the community could help with:

1) Playback from a PLEX media server stutters with 4K and FHD content. Internet connection is more than adequate: wired, 100mb.

2) Playback of 4k content (stored on my NUC - 1TB SSD) using VLC player stutters. Unusually, there is no stuttering when playing the same 4K content using the native Windows player.

Any help or guidance on these issues would be appreciated..... hopefully it's a simple fix :-)

Hamid

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Hamid.riaz,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support. I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are having issues with the playback of videos with Plex* Media Server and VLC* media player.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Xavier A.
HRiaz
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. Attached is the file; let me know if you need any more information.

Hopefully you can share a fix soon :-)

Thanks,

Hamid

idata
Community Manager

Hello Hamid.riaz,

Thank you for your patience. Since this issue is related to just some specific applications, it might be a little difficult to find a quick solution.

However, I would recommend uninstalling and deleting the the driver for the Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 640, and then installing the latest available version. It is possible that an update will fix the issue.

Please follow the steps below to uninstall the graphics driver:
  1. On the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R, then type in devmgmt.msc
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
  4. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
  6. Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.
Please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:
  1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27199/eng/win64_154702.4815.zip
  2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
  3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
  4. Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
  5. Expand the Display adapters section.
  6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
  7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
  8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
  9. Click "Have Disk".
  10. Click "Browse".
  11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
  12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
  13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
  14. Reboot your computer when prompted.
Regards,

Xavier A.
asnel2
Beginner

Hello OP,

I've got the same issue with 4k content stuttering using Plex. All but one file seem to stutter when playing back media. 1080P media is fine.

1. The common screen flickering issue I believe I have gotten around by using a USB-C to HDMI cable

2. Using BIOS 0052 + Graphics Driver 4771_BN helped a LITTLE bit but did not resolve issues.

ACora1
Beginner

I have the same problem; and i have already written in this blog.

I want to say you when you write : "this issue is related to just some specific applications,, it might be a little difficult to find a quick solution." that the problem happens to me with Kodi 17.4 , with VLC and also Home media player cinema. The only app that seem to be quite good is app windows "Film & TV" that is very basic. This situation with litlle difference is common to many user at this moment. So in this moment is compromised the capabity to have with NUC a decent HTPC. Yes app Film & TV it is enough for these people that use NUC as portable PC but i think the HTPC is a relevant market share for INTEL's NUC; so i hope that a specific solution will be found as soon as possible.

I understand that the new driver "win64_154702.4815" are not suitable for NUC, also with manual installation suggested, and it is better to wait a specific one for NUC. Can I confirm this? or can you authorize me and other NUC's users to put this driver "win64_154702.4815" in NUC (my model is my NUC7i3bnh with windows 10 1709 Creators fall and Kodi 17.4 as principal application for HTPC)?

Thank for yor answer

Antonino

HRiaz
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've applied the above and these are my results:

1. What's working - c10-15gb 4k mkv movies seem to work on VLC and Films and TV (F&TV).
  2. What's not working:
    1. c.40gb 4k movie, mkv - works on F&TV but not on VLC.
    2. c40gb 4k movie, mp4 - works on neither (F&TV and VLC).

What do you recommend trying next? Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks,

Hamid

asnel2
Beginner

The new win64_154702.4815_BN driver did nothing to improve my issues with screen flickering or stuttering.

ACora1
Beginner

I am trying now 4815. Seems not have flickering and stuttering but I have only full HD no 4K.

The only problem, but i must test better semms that when you leave the system going to sleep at resume audio is no more available and Nuc must be restarted.

bye

Antonino

idata
Community Manager

Hello Hamid.riaz,

There is a new release of the driver for the Intel® HD Graphics controller in your system that you may use to confirm if it includes a fix for this issue.

The instructions should be the same as in my post above, but with a different link to download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27266/a08/win64_15600.4849.zip

In the meantime, I will try to replicate this is issue in our labs to be able to find a better solution for you. Please have in mind that it may take around a week to get a result, but I will post back to keep you updated.

Regards,

Xavier A.
idata
Community Manager

Hello Hamid.riaz,

Thank you for your patience. We were not able to replicate the same issue in our laboratories with the latest driver for this graphics controller.

I would like to know if you have installed this driver with the instructions above and if need further assistance. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Xavier A.
HRiaz
Beginner

Hi Sorry for the delay. I still have the issue and have updated all drivers as of yesterday using the Intel software update tool. Is that method fine?

idata
Community Manager

Hello, Hamid.riaz

It will actually be better if you manually install the drivers.

First uninstall the drivers you already have by following these steps:
  1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. Double click on Display adapters.
  3. Right-click the Intel® Graphics entry, and click Uninstall.
  4. On Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the Intel HD Graphics driver then click OK to start the uninstall process.
  5. When the uninstall process is complete, disconnect your computer from the internet and make sure it will not auto connect when reboot. Restart your system.
Once those steps are completed, download the graphics drivers using the following link: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27412/a08/win64_15.60.2.4901.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27412/a08/win64_15.60.2.4901.zip

Then, to complete the installation please follow the instructions of the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KzoQDjMMY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KzoQDjMMY

Antony S.

idata
Community Manager

Hello, Hamid.riaz.

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that I attached in the last email I sent you and the results.

Antony S.