Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMand3
New Contributor I

Suddenly unable to select 4k (or even UHD) resolution on new 4k tv

Jump to solution

I have a NUC8i7HNK

I just got a Samsung Q6f 4k HDR tv to use with it... specifically got a 4k for gaming / bigger desktop

It initially worked fine, but the first time I signed out (not even reset) it keeps resetting back to 1080p.

If I change it (even to the RECOMMENDED SETTING) I will get a loading icon, followed by my TV briefly saying no signal, then back comes my desktop... at 1080p.

edit:

I have since tried everything I can think of. Uninstalled both intel and radeon graphics, then reinstalled them. unplugged hdmi and plugged into a diff port. Countless restarts of both, playing with diff settings, etc.

It makes no sense. After I hooked it up it worked just fine.

right click desktop > display settings > changed resolution.. all was well

Sign out of windows 1 time and it wont let me go past 1080

I finally got display adapter properties to finally DISPLAY anything over 1080.. but when I select it, same effect.. black screen w/ loading icon (I'm guessing that's from the TV itself), no input, back do 1080 desktop.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JMand3
New Contributor I

*sigh* such a simple answer... although why this worked in the first place is still a stumper.

I thought I had the PC hooked to the TV via a 4k capable hdmi cable I specifically bought for it previously. Apparently I never hooked it up. I bought a longer one today to replace it / use with the new dvd player.. and found the cable sitting underneath. Hooked up new cable. Viola. 4k.

damn cable..

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PeterNUC
New Contributor I

If you have "UHD Color" enabled on your TV for the corresponding HDMI port, you can try disabling it.

Best, Peter

JMand3
New Contributor I

*sigh* such a simple answer... although why this worked in the first place is still a stumper.

I thought I had the PC hooked to the TV via a 4k capable hdmi cable I specifically bought for it previously. Apparently I never hooked it up. I bought a longer one today to replace it / use with the new dvd player.. and found the cable sitting underneath. Hooked up new cable. Viola. 4k.

damn cable..

View solution in original post