Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11306 Discussions

TBTHostControllerToast.inf Fails Installation

TDean
New Contributor II

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28735/Thunderbolt-3-DCH-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NU...

I followed the instructions to install these 4 TB3 files....by right clicking on each .inf file and selecting install.

On the TBTHostController.inf , I receive an error dialog, see attached.

I might add that the other 3 all installed with no problems and device manager shows that they installed correctly with no yellow triangles and  I checked to make sure the newer device driver was installed.

In addition IDSA also shows that the latest version of the driver is installed.

TB3 does work . The Microsoft Store TB3 app shows the latest version and shows my external nvme disk is attached and it is usalable via file explorer .

What does the tbt toast driver do?

TIA

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TDean
New Contributor II

Everybody I downloaded and installed the new TB3 driver today dated 12/17/2020 and the Toast component now shows up in my device manager and everything seems ok so I'm going to close this .

INtel people you can close this as solved , at least for me. 

View solution in original post

17 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is the model number of your nuc?

TDean
New Contributor II

NUCI78HVK  ..sorry about that

Maria_R_Intel

Hello TDean,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

Please run the following tool in Windows* and attach the report generated. 

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

TDean
New Contributor II
Maria_R_Intel

Hello TDean,

Thank you for the report.

We will try to replicate this in our lab. Please expect an update soon.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Sabolo
Beginner

Hi... I have similar issues.  I have a NUC10i7FNB and have a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro... Installed chipset drivers then used driver and support assistant to update other drivers.  No mention of Thunderbolt so downloaded Version: 1.41.1015.0 of the DCH driver and when I try to install TbtHostControllerToastComponent I get told there is a missing file.  

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

@Maria_R_Intel,

I too have seen this missing file error during install. I had freshly installed 20H2 onto system and was manually working my way through  installing all of the driver packages.

...S

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi everyone,

I have the exact same behavior, I tested the same driver in two different systems with the same result.

I would recommend that instead of installing by "right-clicking" on the .inf file, go with the regular device manager installation procedure, I have always done it this way and I just did it with no issues.

Regards,

Ronny G

TDean
New Contributor II

What device entry are you right clicking on to be able to do that? I have no TB# Toast device to do the device manager .inf install

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yea, are other people not seeing this error simply because they are not normally installing it?

...S

Maria_R_Intel

Hello all,

We are checking this internally to properly provide you with the instructions.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

Guppi2911
Beginner

Hi Maria R.,

I am using Intel NUC 7i5BNB and just bought a Mantiz Venus MZ-02 eGPU enclosure. After installing the AMD driver, it could not detect  the AMD RX570 via Thunderbolt port.

Beforehand, I followed every instructions on Intel Support site and did the following:

1. Updated BIOS (ensuring Thunderbolt controller box is enabled)
  2. Under device manager; right click Base System Device (which showed triangle exclamation mark), and updated latest Bus Driver for Thunderbolt, which states successful driver update thereafter. 
  3. However, there is no Thunderbolt icon running at system tray.
  4. Downloaded Thunderbolt Controller Center , which does detect the eGPU.
  5. So,I tried the alternative method by right-clicking the 4 individual .inf file and got stuck at TBTHostControllerToast.inf showing Error: The system cannot find the file specified.
  6. I also tried to update Thunderbolt firmware ver.33 and it shows Error: 0x208 SDK_SERVICE_NOT_FOUND Thunderbolt(TM) service doesn't exist. 

I hope Intel Support Team can quickly find a solution regarding TBTHostControllerToast.inf error.

Thank You & Best Regards,

Gary

asger_schoeldberg

I have the issue that file is missing. But the reason for why I needed to install this way is that I want eliminate another issue. After my laptop returns from hibernate status it most often do not find my mouse. I have to disconnect and re-connect the mouse before it is present in windows.

C:\temp\thunder>pnputil -i -a *.inf
Microsoft PnP Utility

Processing inf : TbtHostController.inf
Successfully installed the driver.
Driver package added successfully.
Published name : oem96.inf

Processing inf : TbtHostControllerHsaComponent.inf
Published name : oem97.inf

Processing inf : TbtHostControllerToastComponent.inf
Adding the driver package failed : Den angivne fil blev ikke fundet.

Processing inf : TbtP2pNdisDrv.inf
Published name : oem96.inf

Total attempted: 4
Number successfully imported: 3

kind regards
Asger

hubick
New Contributor II

Add another "me too". Fresh Win10 20H2 install on a NUC8i7HVK.

I dunno if this is why I had to roll back to the legacy driver to get the firmware update to 33 to go as well?

Either way, my Samssung X5 SSD (Alpine Ridge) works, but plugging in my new LaCie Rugged Pro SSD (Titan Ridge) yields a BSOD.

At that point I gave up on my "test it first in Windows before trying under Linux plan", and everything works flawlessly under Fedora 33.

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi everyone,

We are about to release a new executable driver update file for the Thunderbolt Controller, this should mitigate the issues currently reported by this community. 

This executable file should available in our Intel Download Center in less than 2 weeks timeframe.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,

Ronny G

TDean
New Contributor II

Everybody I downloaded and installed the new TB3 driver today dated 12/17/2020 and the Toast component now shows up in my device manager and everything seems ok so I'm going to close this .

INtel people you can close this as solved , at least for me. 

View solution in original post

Maria_R_Intel

Hello TDean,

Thank you very much for let us know the outcome.

Since the thread is now solved, we will proceed to close it.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Maria R.