Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

TPM and BIOS Password issues after 0061 update on NUC7i7BNH

After installing the 0061 BIOS update on my NUC7i7BNH, the BIOS Supervisor password was no longer accepted. I pulled the security jumper, and followed the prompts to reset the password. Upon reboot, the new password worked, but now the TPM is not visible in Windows. I'm running Windows 10, 1709, 64-bit. I've repro'ed this issue on two NUC7i7BNH.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello, Jones96378

I understand that after a BIOS update to the version 0061 on your NUC you are unable to see the TPM in Windows, allow me to help you regarding this issue you are facing.

In this case, I would like to recreate this issue that you are having at our lab. This will take some time nonetheless, once I have an answer for this issue I will definitely let you know.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Jones96378,

I am still researching on your case.

Just for testing purposes, I would like you to perform these troubleshooting steps:
  1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. On the Device Manager, look for Security devices and double-click on it.
  3. In the drop down, right click on Trusted Platform Module 2.2 and then Uninstall
  4. Once you Uninstall the driver and restart the computer please go to the Device Manager once again, look for Security devices and single click on it.
  5. In the top bar of the Device Manager, look for the Action option and in the drop down click on Scan for hardware changes.
This might automatically install the Microsoft TPM drivers

Please let me know the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

When I go into Device Manager, I don't have a Security Devices option.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Jones96378,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Can you check on Device Manager if the TPM shows on the System Devices drop down instead? If it is please follow the step I attached in the post above.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I turned on Hidden Devices, I could see the TPM 2.0 device then. I uninstalled it, then rebooted. The TPM now doesn't even show up with hidden devices checked. It seems like the BIOS update disabled/broke the TPM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello, Jones96378

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Please verify that the Intel® Platform Trust Technology is enabled in the BIOS since this option will make the TPM not visible in the Device Manager.

In order to find this, when you access the BIOS, click on Advanced and then go to Security Tab. I will attach an image of how this option should be set up.

Please let me know the results.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

It was already checked. I tried to uncheck it, reboot, then check it. At no point did the TPM reappear in Device Manager or tpm.msc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello, Jones96378.

I would like to share with you that I have recreated the issue you are facing at our lab with the same NUC you have and the same Windows version and after the BIOS update, I was still able to see the TPM either from the Device Manager or tpm.msc.

At this point, I will recommend performing first a BIOS Recovery by the Security Jumper. In order to achieve so, download the .https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27416/NUCs-BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?v=t BIO file (0061) and then, follow the instructions of this guide: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

Please note that the instructions for the BIOS Recovery by the Security Jumper are listed in the second section of this guide.

If the BIOS Recovery did not work for you, you can perform a BIOS downgrade. I performed a BIOS downgrade with our NUC from 0061 to 0060 and from 0060 to 0057. You can try a downgrade to the version the TPM was showing on your NUC. Please find bellow a link where you can look for that version:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=NUC7i7BNH https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=NUC7i7BNH

After each step, make sure you verify the TPM is not shown in the Hidden devices section of the Device Manager and, right click on System devices and then Scan for hardware changes.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello, Jones96378.

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that I attached in the last post and the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

So, good news and bad news. The good news: on the first NUC, the Security Jumper BIOS update worked. TPM is now visible, and I'm able to set a BIOS password.

The bad news is the second NUC. It gets hung on the BIOS update. See attached screenshot. It's been at that spot now for about 30 min. I'll leave it there for a few hours, just to see if it will clear up.

I used the same USB stick, and same BIO file for both NUCs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Jones96378 thank you for this information.

I am glad to hear the first NUC is working. Please, let us know how it goes with the other NUC.

If after the few hours it stays the same, you can stop the progress by turning off the Intel® NUC and start again with the Recovery.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello, Jones96378.

I would like to double check if you were able to update the BIOS on your second NUC and the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos