Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Throttling/Voltage issues? Strange values in HWInfo as if I had overclocked my almost brand new NUC8i3beh

Hi people!

Im new in this Forum. I read a lot to configurate my NUC in the proper way and learned a lot from here. I appreciate it and thank you community for that.

I bought an Intel NUC8i3BEH in November and am really happy about the performance. I got the advice to monitor the PC with HWInfo since I also use the PC for playing. The thing is I get some parameters always marked as a Yes and I couldnt find anything conclusive but some Info in Forums for overclockers. So I dont know wether that is normal or the reason for it. These parameters are:

GT: Fuses limit - YES

RING: Max VR Voltage, ICCmax, PL4 - YES

Some other were triggered once when I played longer than usual:

IA: Package-Level RAPL/PBM PL1 - YES (as Maximum)

IA: Package-Level RAPL/PBM PL2, PL3 - Yes (Maximum)

Some Info about my PC:

NUC8i3BEH, 16 Gb RAM Crucial, M.2 860 Samsung EVO 250Gb, SanDisk 512Gb SSD

Windows 10 1909

Bios Version: becfl 357.86 a. 0078.

Intel iris graphics 655 driver version: 26.20.100.7529

Everything is updated and I didn´t overclock the processor (I barely know what that is). I have as less programms as possible running in the background as well as when starting windows. I recently updated BIOS, loaded default settings and changed the Cool Mode in order to create a custom mode for cooling (I changed the aimed temperature of 65° C to 55°C ). I did this because I was getting maximum temperatures around 90-94°C during playing a certain game. Now I get as maximum 80-83°C. Now the fan is increasing the speed before so it doesn´t get such a peak.

Apart from that I noticed my Base speed of processor is 3Ghz but HWInfo and Windows task manager say it´s always running around 3.60 Ghz even doing nothing (I believe this is the Turbo speed)

I´ve also been having issues with Intel Display Audio while playing in full screen after I started using a Samsung smart TV as monitor but I can´t imagine how it can influence any of this.

Should I worry about this? I know it is related to current intensity and voltage but I did not change any of this in the BIOS.

I thank you guys for your wisdom and apologize for my english. Have a nice day and let´s stay home!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

OMG! This is the kind of information that they write books about, not that can be answered in a short response here. You shouldn't be worrying about these kinds of things unless you are really going to be doing overclocking -- which you essentially cannot do with the classes of processors used in most NUCs. Running HWInfo was more-likely suggested as a way to monitor things like temperatures and clock frequencies.

If you really want to dig in and understand this stuff, talk to the overclockers for overview information. Then, be prepared to dig in and read the processor TPS documents (2000+ pages and unique to processor family). Have fun.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thank you Scott for your answer! I´ve noticed you post very often in this forum so an expert opinion is more than welcome.

That´s the thing. I couldnt understand any of the posts about overclocking because it seems pretty much an own science. I´ve just understood the meaning of Max VR Voltage, ICCmax, PL4.

My guess is: as long as the temperatures are OK and no error is being showed it should not harm the computer. But I´m just guessing.

What about the speed of the processor? It is OK for it to run always at 3.60 Ghz? I always read the suggestion not to change anything in the BIOS so I suppose the default settings are in any case the recommended for a regular user.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

It may appear to always be running at 3.6GHz but, in fact, individual cores are being taken to higher values by the Turbo Boost feature. You need to look as the frequencies of the individual Cores to see the current values, but these could be changing pretty darn fast (if they're not, it may mean that Turbo Boost is disabled).

I find that, by default, most BIOS (and Windows itself) configure the processor to run in High-Performance Mode. I don't like this. I always modify the BIOS configuration to use the Balanced Mode and Windows to use the Balanced Plan. This allows the Cores to clock down when idle, saving power and generating less heat.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thank you @n.scott.pearson for your time!

I dont know if I should open another topic only for this so I will extend this one, even if its not related thath much to the Throttling and PL1 values.

So I recently changed my Cooling plan to Leon´s Custom plan following also your advice of changing the minimum temperature from 80°C to 70°C from your last comment to this post:https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490VUiSAM/best-option-for-fan-in-a-nuc7i5bnh-silent-ple...

I dont care about the noise but about extending the life of my product as much as I can and this setting seems to lower the maximum temperatures therefore its perfect.

In addition thanks to the use of CoreTemp software I was able to save in a log file the temperatures and processor clock over the time while playing Grand Theft Auto 5. I noticed that temperature values for both cores stay below 80°C and that both core clocks go down to around 3000MHz and stay below this value the whole time I am playing, going back to Turbo speed once I close the game. So I was thinking it could be interesting to give a try and disable the Turbo Mode (since the game forces anyway the cores to slow down). My concern is that I will probably reach easily the 100% CPU load while playing or during other stressful tasks but I will gain a lower heat release from my processor I´d say. I could also use the balanced mode you suggested but I think the game would not run at enough fps (Initially I used the balanced mode from windows and wasnt enought for a fluid game experience, but I never changed the High Performance Mode to Balanced Mode in BIOS).

What do you think it would be the best for both taking care of my NUC and getting enough performance so I can keep on enjoying this game?

Merci for your expertise and patience :)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The way that Intel is specing and validating its processors these days, keeping temperatures below Tjmax (~100c) is supposedly all you need to do if you want the processor to work for its full warranted lifetime. I would still be concerned with these temperatures exceeding, say, 90c, however -- not completely because of its effect on the processor itself, but also because of the effects that these temperature levels can have on the rest of the NUC. Heat bleeds from the processor into the motherboard and can go from there into - and can affect - other components. Heat also builds in the voltage regulation circuitry as the processor works this hard. All that said, it is not like your NUC is going to be running at these workload levels all the time. Whether heat has an affect is also dependent upon how long the temperatures sit at these levels.

Bottom line, I use a configuration that keeps the temperature lower. I pay an acoustic cost for this but I can live with it; it occurs so rarely. Well, except in my KY and HV NUCs, where, seemingly, Windows 10's background tasks are all it takes to kick the fans into an annoying state...😤

...S

0 Kudos