Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thunderbolt 3 configuration to communicate with an UAD 2 satellite ( thunderbolt )

I have a NUC7i7BN kit with latest availabre drivers, tbt firmware and BIOS. But I cannot communicate with an UAD 2 satellite equipment. Is there any particular parameter on BIOS to be configured ?

Obviously I have an startech TBT3TBTadap adapter.

I have checked everyting with a Mac and works OK. Universal audio tested specifically NUC7i7BN and startech adapter and say functions OK.

Has somebody hada this problem ??

Thanks.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Hello claudio.saporiti.musica

I don't have a UAD Satellite, but I have an UAD Arrow.

But I had similar issues connecting to the Arrow until I installed the TB3 tool.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/Thunderbolt-FW-Update-Guide.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/Thunderbolt-FW-Update-Guide.pdf

I know you said you had the latest drivers, but I wonder if you have the latest thunderbolt firmware?

https://ark.intel.com/products/95065/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i7BNH Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH Product Specifications

When you run the tool, do you see the UAD Satellite connected?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Using Device manager I see UAD connected

After loading UAD console sw during launch appears

"no devices found" error

System configuration info

NUC7i7BNB ( NUC i7-7567U mailto:CPU@3.5 CPU@3.5 GHZ 32 GB RAM )

BIOS to BNKBL357.86A.066 ( last verion NUC7i7BNB mini PC )

Thunderbolt 3 USB-C firmware in NUC PC BNi5i7_TBT_FW_rev33_sign

Windows 10 PRO

version 1803

OS build 17134.191

UAD 2 Satellite thunderbolt

Driver Universal Audio inc 9.5.2.0935

Startech adapter TBT3TBTADAP

Thanks a lot for your reply

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Can you verify the TB3 cables you are using are rated for TB3 @40Gbps?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thunderbolt-performance-z77a-gd80%2C3205.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

I think you need to use 40Gbps rated cables.

Are you seeing your UAD Satellite in this view? It may not show connected. Hit the Identify button if it's available.

If you're NUC is seeing the Satellite, then it may be a Console configuration issue or not using a 40Gbps rated TB3 cable.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Cable Matters [Certified] Thunderbolt Cable/Thunderbolt 2 Cable Black 3.3 Feet

• 20G DATA + 4K VIDEO high performance Thunderbolt 2 cable supports a 20 Gbps data transfer rate when connecting Thunderbolt peripherals; Compatible with MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro, and Apple Thunderbolt Display
  • THUNDERBOLT DOCK MATE using a single Thunderbolt 2 cable to connect multiple peripherals for video, storage and Ethernet network access; Highly efficient cable handles large 4K Go Pro video files and terabytes of data rendering for video professionals
  • DAISY CHAIN DREAM for connecting up to 6 devices or displays per port with compatible equipment; Flexible cable is designed for frequent use with a rubberized TPE jacket that provides superior insulation and UV resistance; Low-profile connectors with molded strain relief will not block adjacent ports on your computer
  • ACTIVE HIGH SPEED CABLE enables 4K video workflows using PCie and DisplayPort 1.2 protocols; Can deliver 10W of power to bus-powered devices; Universal compatibility with existing Thunderbolt and Mini DisplayPort computers and devices; Transfer a full-length HD move in 30 seconds
  • THUNDERBOLT COMPATIBLE with high performance docks and monitors such as the OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock, Elgato Thunderbolt 2 Dock, HighPoint Dual-Bay Thunderbolt 10Gbps Storage Dock, Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Express HD Dock, LaCie d2 Thunderbolt 2 Desktop Storage, OWC ThunderBay 4 Enclosure, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34-Inch Curved, LG Electronics UM95 34UM95 34-Inch Screen, LG Electronics WQHD IPS Curved 34-Inch, HP Thunderbolt-2 PCIe 1-port I/O Card,

But I am using an adapter ..

StarTech.com Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter – MacBook Windows Compatible - TBT3TBTADAP
  • Use first-gen Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 devices with a new Thunderbolt 3 computer
  • The adapter is backward compatible, it can connect to first-generation Thunderbolt devices at 10Gbps speed. With Thunderbolt 2 devices, you can connect at 20Gbp.OS Compatibility:Windows 8.1, 10,macOS 10.12 - 10.13.This adapter is compatible with Thunderbolt displays only. It will not work with Mini DisplayPort (mDP) or DisplayPort (DP) monitors.Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter / Thunderbolt 3 USB C to Thunderbolt / Thunderbolt 3 USB Type-C to Thunderbolt
  • Compatible with first-gen Thunderbolt & Thunderbolt 2 devices / Supplies power for bus-powered devices / Thunderbolt Certified. Cable Jacket Type - PVC Polyvinyl Chloride ,Cable Shield Type - Aluminum-Mylar Foil with Braid ,Connector Plating - Nickel
  • Works with Thunderbolt 3 computers such as the latest models of Dell XPS & Dell Precision & MacBook Pro & more
  • Guaranteed reliability with a 2-Year warranty
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I have red UAD recommendations you attached before buying all components of the system.

I bought the recommended Startech adapter. Thunderbolt cables are normally 20 Gbps ( I havent seen of 40GBPS ). I thought the adapter was in charge of adapting speed from TBT3 to TBT.

On the other hand my satellite has the external power source.

Why do you say the rated cable is wrong ? I could´nt find the mistake yet.

Qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapters

The following Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapters have been tested for compatibility with Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo audio interfaces and UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt.

Note: The adapter connects between the Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port on the computer and the Thunderbolt-equipped Universal Audio product.

• Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter (Product ID: TBT3TBTADAP)
  • Kanex Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter (Product ID: K170-1051-BK6I)
Tested Windows Thunderbolt 3 Computers

Desktop Systems

• ASRock Z270 Taichi w/ ASRock Thunderbolt 3 Add-on Card
  • ASUS X99-A w/ ASUS Thunderbolt EX3 Add-on Card
  • Intel NUC Kit series (Tested with NUC6i7KYK & NUC7i7BNH)
  • Gigabyte BRIX series (Tested with GB-BSi7T-6500)
  • Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH Motherboard
  • Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 Motherboard
  • Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard
  • Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 w/ Gigabyte Thunderbolt 3 Add-on Card (GC-ALPINE RIDGE)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

From the technical specification for your NUC

(Note: go to the link the arrow is pointing to for more information on the TB3 spec, from Intel's perspective)

Then, from the UAD site:

Look up what the full Thunderbolt 3 cable specifications are. 40Gbps is the minimum standard.

Just so you have confidence in what I'm saying, I fought this battle for a couple of days until I realized that the cables I ordered were only rated to 20 Gbps.

Then I bought two of these and Music was a Happening.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074JZVD2M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Amazon.com: [Thunderbolt 3 Certified] Nekteck Active Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) Cables 100W (ONLY Thunderbolt 3 Port Compati…

Here's a video that explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLs_0wHcv4A The Difference between Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLs_0wHcv4A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLs_0wHcv4A

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Unfortunately when I purchased the TB3 cables, these were not available, they are much cheaper but only 1' long.

The longer ones all run about $50-$60 USD.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KGU0R9W/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01KGU0R9W&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX... Amazon.com: Plugable [Certified] Thunderbolt 3 40Gbps USB-C Cable (1.65'/0.5m, 3A/60W, Thunderbolt and USB Compatible): …

I have to look very closely at the labels. Case in point is the bigger version of the above cable is 20Gbps, not 40Gbps. This is not helpful when people are not used to looking for a very specific cable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you very much Mike for your time and advise.

I now realise that you have a PC with TBT 3 connected to an Arrow with TBT3 port too. In that case yo really need a TBT3 cable with 40Gbps bandwith and yo do not have an adapter in the middle..

UAD 2 satellite has a TBT 2 port. Cables in this case are only 20Gbps. Because of this reason an adapter irs needed ( startech TBT3TBTADAP )

I have already download last UAD version 960 and nothing. I also deselected video fron TBT bios configuration and nothing.

I have used the same cable yesterday to connect directly a Mac to UAD 2 Satellite ( with no adapter ) and it worked OK.

It is really a mistery..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

So I've re-researched everything.

The fact that you can see the UAD-2 using the Intel Thunderbolt tool, tells me that the PC is detecting it.

The rest is configuration.

I think you have all the BIOS settings correct. I've reviewed all of the UAD-2 Satellite troubleshooting steps from the UA site, and reviewed all of your steps.

It seems to me that the main problem is the UAD software is not seeing the UAD-2.

I've had this problem in the past with my Arrow. I know that I've recommended this step before, and I'm not sure if you tried it.

Once you identify (if it's available), it should start the handshake process and detect your UAD-2 Satellite.

If it doesn't, I'm left wondering if the TB3TB StarTeck adapter is bad.

The instructions from the StarTeck web site say to make sure that the lightening bolt is oriented up when you plug into the back of your NUC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

It 's finally working. Cables, bios and everything was OK. The driver ( at launch time ) had the default option " do not connect". I have clicked there and was only to enable the option to recognize UAD.

In the solving process I've learned a lot.. Mike, thank you very very much for your support. Best regards!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Congratulation Claudio,

Now that the root cause is available, we can pay it forward for anyone else who might have an issue. *AND* it's great to know another UA Audio Interface user!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Four months on and I had the chance to rebuild the NUC8i7HVK from scratch. The reasons are not important here.

Discovery

Today, 09 DEC 2018, I installed a fresh, commercial version of Windows 10 1803 x64, then immediately followed up with the Workstation upgrade, and discovered that my Universal Audio Device (UAD) Arrow, was recognized by Windows but it was not communicating with Windows. I recall this discussion with Claudio (Ciao Claudio!) and going through all of the steps realized that I had left out a very important step for a clean build.

Complete directions for installing your UAD device on a Windows 10 NUC (generally). The instructions are for an Arrow, which is TB3 bus-powered (draws its power from the NUC), but can be used for other UAD devices, just think it through.

Assumptions:

• You have installed the NUC Thunderbolt driver and can see your UAD0.png
  • You have installed all of the software needed to connect to your UAD3.png
  • And your UAD device IS NOT present in the Device Manager2.png
  • You have the Thunderbolt Taskbar Icon or have access to the Thunderbolt utility4.png

SOLUTION

Right-click on the Thunderbolt Utility and "approve" the attached device.

5.png

You will then (or should) get a popup from the Thunderbolt utility:6.png

Select "Always Connect", then OK, then Viola!

7.png

Good Luck!

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Did you ever find a fix to this? I'm having the same issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Hi @NMint​ 

Assuming you are running Windows 10, assuming you have installed the latest Intel Thunderbolt software (see link below), assuming you are using the right cables (and in iData's case, the correct converter), try this:

With the Intel Thunderbolt Utility running and the icon showing in your task bar, right-click the icon, and approve all of your TB devices. The UAD console should then immediately recognize your UAD device.

Please let me know if that works, and I will help resolve if it doesn't

2019-01-02_18-06-19.jpg

There are more complete instructions above, in the previous post. Have you tried?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you! Will give this a try and report back.

0 Kudos