Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Thunderbolt Dock does not stay powered when NUC is sleeping

I have a NUCi9. I use a CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 dock plugged into the Thunderbolt port.

When Windows 10 puts the machine in sleep mode, the dock loses power, and so the keyboard plugged into it does not wake the machine back up.

Keyboards plugged directly into the machine at the same work perfectly to wake the computer from sleep, so there's clearly something going on with how the Thunderbolt port is powered during sleep states.

I have checked that Wake from USB and Wake from Thunderbolt are enabled in the BIOS. I tried setting the S4/S power bio setting on and it made no difference. I have checked that every device in the USB Controllers list in Device Manager has "Allow this Device to Wake the Computer" where possible. I have manually added every USB device on my machine to the wake list using powercfg /deviceenablewake. 

What am I missing? Is there a way to keep the Thunderbolt port active whilst the machine is in sleep mode?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @MattLodder 

Check in BIOS: Advanced > USB> Portable Device Charging Mode should be set to Charging in S3/S4/S5.

Leon

Highlighted
Novice

I don't have that setting in the bios, or at least, I can't see it -- I'm on 0054 BIOS for NUC9i9QNB. Am I missing something?

I tried toggling the "Power on S4/S5" setting before posting here but it didn't make a difference....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @MattLodder 

Could be that I'm misleading you since I don't have NUC9i9QNX. Since I know that this NUC has BIOS Aptio V, I was assuming that it is similar to the image attached (see the Advanced > USB screen).  You may check also BIOS Aptio V Glossary on page 17.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thank you. I simply don't have Portable Power settings in the BIOS at all, and no S3 power settings anywhere other than in the HDMI-CEC section.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I can concur. I set everything I possibly could in BIOS Setup and I still did not have power in the USB-C connectors (Note: I was checking with USB device, not TBT device).

Intel Customer Support will need to look into this issue (@Ronny_G_Intel?)

...S

Highlighted
Novice

Thank you for checking this. Is this likely to be by design?

The dock I'm using has mains power; it's not fundamentally powered from the TB3 port, so the problem is not just that the port isn't passing power, but that it's completely inactive.

I know there were reports about TB3 security vulnerabilities to attacks from malicious devices -- perhaps the ports are disabled for that reason? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @MattLodder 

As I wrote in my other post I don't have NUC9i9QNX, but, I have an idea that may be is worthy to check:

Open BIOS Advanced > Power > Secondary Power Settings and check the status of Native ACPI OS PCIe Support. If this fill is enabled, uncheck it and see if this helps with the Thunderbolt.

Leon

Highlighted
Novice

That's greyed out.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

But maybe you're on to something, @LeonWaksman 

Whilst I can't find anyone else with this problem of waking TB devices from sleep on PC, googling brings up people seeking help for this same behaviour of unpowered TB ports during sleep on Macs, and particularly on "hackintosh" installs of MacOS on PCs. The consensus is that there's something happening in the ACPI interface - see e.g the solution here (https://osy.gitbook.io/hac-mini-guide/details/thunderbolt-3-fix/).

It also seems that something like a kernel-level fix to this has been part of conversations in the Linux community for a while (https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9941155/).

None of that should be happening in Windows, though. Is there maybe an issue with the way the NUC BIOS is power-gating the TB controller, @Ronny_G_Intel If so, is there a way to check, and to fix?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for posting on this Intel® community.   

@MattLodder, we would like to perform further investigation about this behavior internally, can please provide the following information from your system?  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. How many devices are you connecting to the Thunderbolt 3 Dock? Please explain. 

3. Did this feature used to work as expected before? If yes, do you recall making any changes before the issue started?  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Report attached.

The CalDigit TS3 hub is connected into the Thunderbolt port on the NUC, and currently has a keyboard (Clueboard 66% Rev 2.0) in one of the front USB ports, a USB-C monitor (ASUS MB16AP) in the rear USB C port and some speakers (AudioEngine H3) in a rear USB  port.

If I plug the keyboard into the NUC directly, it works to wake the machine just fine. I have another keyboard device (Rama Works M6-A) plugged directly into the machine at the same time, and that wakes the machine just fine.

The hub is only a week or two old, and I don't recall it ever working other than it does currently.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello MattLodder,  

Thank you for your reply. 

Please allow us to investigate this behavior internally, kindly wait for a response. As soon as we have an update, we will post it on this thread.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thank you, Sebastian. I really appreciate it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @MattLodder 

I performed some tests on NUC10i7FNH which has Aptio V Bios. Before starting this test I founded that the Advanced Power Setting in this NUC are very limited (see the attached image). I didn't liked this and even putting this NUC into sleep mode from the Start Menu was impossible, while from keyboard it worked. So in the BIOS I've make the following changes (before performing those changes, I've set NUC to SAFE Boot mode):

In Advanced Power Setting, I unchecked the Max Performance Enabled field  (the other two: Balanced Enabled and Low Power Enabled are also unchecked).  The important change I did is in the Secondary Power Settings - changed the Modern Standby to Legacy S3 Standby. Rebooted NUC and now the Advanced Power Settings are not limited any more (see the attached image). I can put my NUC into sleep from Start Menu. Most important, the Thunderbolt port is powered when the NUC is in Sleep state (BTW, the Native ACPI OS PCIe Support and the Thunderbolt Controller are enabled).

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thank you! I'm away for the weekend but I'll experiment when I'm home on Monday.

The pictures you mentioned didn't upload -- could you share again?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Sorry, both images attached to my previous post.

Leon

0 Kudos