Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Tried to Update BIOS, now Intel NUC is a Brick!

Hi everyone,

Since i purchased intel nuc, i've had only issues, i have a NUC5i5RHY, and i last night i tried to update the bios from 3.5.0 to 3.5.4, now, to do this i used the F7 option, and formated my USB to FAT (though mac os x disk util).

It went okay from booting to BIOS, pressing F7, and picking the file to update, after i chose the file, the screen turned black. Now i cant seem to enter in any BIOS whatsoever.

I tried recover, maintenance mode, and those other bullshit. But nothing is getting displayed on the screen.

On the power button there is no blinkings, and i tried Reseting CROM (or how it is called). But when i keep the Power button for longer than 3 seconds, it simply turns off, no beeps, nothing.

I am sure i dont have problems with RAM or HDD, since it was working fine before the update.

I tried removing the yellow plastic thing to send the BIOS into maintainance mode, or anything like that, but didnt work.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Model: NUC5i5RHY

RAM: 2 x 8GB

HDD: 32GB SSD.

HDMI Mini to HDMI cable

Also tried MiniDisplay (didnt work).

Regards

Sadi

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Also another thing:

When i power it, it starts without blinking, in some cases it turns off and then on, and goes like that, i've removed the BIOS Yellow Pin, and inserted a USB formated with FAT, with *.bio file in it, but nothing, no blinking, nothing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Just wanted to verify that you've done these steps correctly:

0. USE THIS BIOS - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/25727/BIOS-Update-RYBDWi35-86A-?httpDown=https://dow... BIOS Update [RYBDWi35.86A]

1. Copy the recovery file (*.bio) to a bootable USB device.

2. Plug the USB device into a USB port of the target Intel NUC.

3. Shut down the computer and unplug AC power.

4. Open the chassis and remove the yellow BIOS Configuration Jumper. See the Technical Product Specification for the location of this jumper.

5. Power the system on.

6. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete.

7. The computer will either turn off when the recovery process is completed or it will prompt you to turn off the computer.

8. Remove the USB device from the USB port.

9. Replace the BIOS Configuration Jumper.

10. Restart the computer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi sady92,

Let me know if det_bradlee's troubleshooting solves the issue.

Make sure, USB is formatted as FAT16 and the .BIO file is saved in the root of the USB drive, try with USB 2.0 drive. Use only 1 monitor and 1 memory stick.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi mikeC,

is necessary to use an USB formatted as FAT16 for BIOS recovery or we can use at least FAT32? FAT16 is limited to 2GB pendrive (not so common nowadays)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have what seems to be the exact same problem with my NUC6i3SYK.

I've tried the bios recovery, changing the jumper pins to boot straight to the bios, and long pressing the power button. Nothing works.

The PC powers on with the blue light and then nothing.

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Others have suggested removing any system drives while updating from USB if you have any issues. On the 6 series in particular, there is a problem updating while an m.2 drive is connected. I can confirm this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

My USB its a 32GB 3.0, previously i used this one to install the OS, but after that nothing worked. Might this be the case? Also i am formating it from a Mac OX with diskutil, and there are only a few options, either the default mac FS, or FAT, or ExFAT?

Should i remove the SSD ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

I can't confirm that there wouldn't be issues with your Mac formatted flashdrive. If you have access to a Windows machine (and perhaps a smaller flash drive), I would try using it to format to FAT or FAT32.

It's worth a shot removing the SSD during recovery update. Perhaps that will solve. Let us know!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Topix,

It is possible to use fat 32 in your USB.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Thanks Mike C

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi sady92,

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

So, finally i had some time to take care of the NUC.

The issue was that the Format type for my USB was FAT and not FAT32, since i was formatting it through diskutil. I simply picked "Master Boot Record" and used FAT, and it actually worked, the BIOS got updated.

Everything is fine, though a lot of headache.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos