Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DMack14
Beginner

Tried to update BIOS on new NUC8i7BEH -- noe only video garbage when powered on

Brand new NIC8i7BEH. Installed 32GB Corsair RAM and 1TB Samsung SATA SSD. Installed Windows 10. Downloaded the current driver bundle. Installed the audio drivers. Then ran the BIOS updater (seems to be 0.66). The last thing the updater told me was "Flashing Image for Video Firmware". Then the screen went into sleep. After five minutes or so, the screen powered up again but remained black. It remained that way for 30 minutes, after which time I powered it off.

Now when I power on the NUC I get video garbage -- random colored bars 1 or 2 pixels high and 10-15 pixels long with two narrow gaps in the top third of the screen. After 15 seconds of that, the resolution of the garbage appears to halve (ie -- the bars get higher and longer and the gaps get bigger and move down the screen).

The USB keyboard does not appear to be getting initialized as the caps-lock does not flash when pressed.

The only change I made as far as I can remember to BIOS settings was to change the maximum video aperture to 2G and change the sleep mode button light color.

I have tried the Firmware Recovery through the power button (same video, no apparent reaction from the keyboard) and using the security jumper (same).

Is there anything further that I can try, or have I bricked my new system?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @DMack14​ 

The problem was causing by your change of the IGD Aperture Size to 2GB. Please enter bios Advanced > Devices > Video and decrease this parameter back to default (128MB or 256MB). https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000028294/graphics-drivers.html

Leon

DMack14
Beginner

I figured it might be as so.

But how do I enter the BIOS screen if all I see is video garbage when the machine powers on? I don't even get to see the NUC logo.

DMack14
Beginner

okay, figured it out -- it's easier to wait for the power button to flash orange to release it into "recover BIOS" menu than counting since that never worked for me. I'm in and going again. Thank you.

LeonWaksman
Super User

You may try repeatedly depress F2 button after powering the NUC ON. While in BIOS depress on F9 followed by "Y" (this will reset bios to default settings). Next, press F10 confirmed by "Y", NUC should save the settings and exit to Windows.

Leon