Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdown1
Novice

Tried to upgrade my NUC memory from 8GB's to 16 GB's using the SODIMM 2 slot but is not recognized in the BIOS. Why? See below.

What's the problem?

My Intel Visual BIOS settings (recently updated to ver 0072).

Under the main section - Memory Information shows...

Total memory = 8GB

Memory Speed = 2133MHz

SODIMM 1 (Memory Channel A) = 8GB

SODIMM 2 (Memory Channel B) Not Installed

Then I added 8GB's more of same type of additional memory on my NUC7i5BNH System to equal 16gb's of memory. Each slot now has 8gbs of memory (= to 16GBs).

*Type of memory is 8GB 2666MHz Pacific Sun DDR4 (2133) 

Turned system on to find out the 8GB's added (in the SODIMM 2 memory slot) was not recognized.

Then I switched memory sticks, re-booted, same results. (Only 8GB's show in the BIOS SODIMM 1 slot.)  

**This proves that at least the 2 memory sticks are good so what's wrong? Is the SODIMM 2 memory slot faulty or is the motherboard/CPU faulty?

Thanks, Bill

I await your reply.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Stick a single SODIMM in the SODIMM 2 slot and power on. If this works, slot is ok and the problem is the combination of these SODIMMs. What are part numbers for the two SODIMMs?

...S

bdown1
Novice

I inserted a single 8gb stick in SODIMM 2 - Did not boot. Tried another 8gb stick in SODIMM 2 - Did not boot. (From my PC rules, SODIMM 1 has to be the primary bootup/start-up slot)….So

I inserted a single 8gb stick in SODIMM 1 - Boots up ok. Tried the other single 8gb stick (same part #s) in SODIMM 1 - Boots up ok. (This tells me, both 8gb sticks are ok - Right?).

Note: Both memory sticks have the same exact readings. It has to be the NUC hardware/software. What do you think, because my goal is to run with 16gb's?

Thanks,

I await your reply.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Since the slots are connected to different memory controllers, either one can be primary if it is the only one used. You can boot with a single SODIMM in either slot.

The fact that both SODIMMs supported a successful boot when installed in the first slot is not a complete indicator that the SODIMMs are good. There will always be memory locations that aren't touched during the boot process and there could thus be unseen faults. I always recommend that memory be tested thoroughly, using a tool like MemTest86+, before making any confident claims.

So what can we conclude from all this? To me it is pretty obvious: your second SODIMM slot is bad. You will need to get the unit replaced.

After verifying your warranty is still active (here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/services/000006303.html?wapkw=warranty+check), you need to directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this here in the forums). Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local or toll-free phone numbers, sorted by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_desktop_ww_english_Chat), but understand that this service is offered only in English and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S