Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Turboboost Max 3.0 is not working anymore on my pc. Windows can't load the driver (error 10). I can't understand, nothing is changed on the machine. Can you help me?

My cpu is a 6950x, the motherboard is a Gigabyte X99P-SLI. The turboboost is enabled in the BIOS, but the Turboboost driver in Windows 10 (last updated) is not working anymore (yellow banged in the device list). What else do I have to check in the BIOS (or in Windows)?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Download, run, and attach (using the paperclip) the results of this utility.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then, an Intel support engineer can assist you.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Here you are, attached is the result of the scanning.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hello @PNove​ ,

The TurboBoost Max 3.0 technology is supported in your CPU hardware and it has native support in Windows 10. You don't need any driver to have this function working.

Please read the Frequently Asked Questions about Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I understand, but before the last update to Windows I was able to run the Turboboost utility (ITBM.EXE) to configure the programs that I want to run "turboboosted" . With those softwares my cpu was able to run at 4.2 Ghz, now ITBM.EXE refuses to run ("turboboost driver not loaded") and every software seems to be locked to 3.5 Ghz. These results are confirmed both by the Windows performance monitor and the Intel Power Gadget. So, something has changed. What can I do to have my cpu performances back again?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello PNove,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

We would like to jump in to try to provide some help. As indicated above, this feature is enabled automatically.

1. Could you let us know if this problem started happening after trying to remove the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 from Apps and Features?
  2. Did it start happening immediately after updating Windows*?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Wanner, thanks for your reply. No, the problem started BEFORE trying to remove the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 from Apps and Features. Then I tried to uninstall and re-install the Turbo Boost Max driver, but nothing new happened. The Turboboost service is up and running, but the driver is yellow banged in the devices list.

Today I tried to install the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, but the Turboboost option buttons (enable/disable) are greyed out. I then succeeded in raising the clock frequency up to 4.2 Ghz with the basic setting , but the system seems unstable and apart this, the frequency is fixed, no more related to specific applications like it was before.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello PNove,

Thank you for your response.

We will look into this issue and update this thread soon.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello PNove,

Thank you for the update.

Based on the description of the issue, this seems to be an issue related to a recent update of the OS. What we can recommend is that keep your system up to date. You may also contact Microsoft* in case a recent update is causing this behavior.

It is worth mentioning that there is no need to install any driver because this technology is enabled automatically as long as your processor supports it.

What we can recommend is that you run your system/processor under design specifications. Remember that modifying the clock frequency through BIOS or any other method is not how this technology should work and it may cause system instability. Try loading BIOS default settings and test the performance of your computer.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Well, after a few more attempts I've found that the issue is caused by the "virtualization" enabled in the BIOS. After disabling that, the Turboboost driver is newly up and running, exactly like it was some months ago. Now I can use the Turboboost panel again, and by that I can specify which applications must benefit from the turboboost. There's nothing wrong with my cpu's overclock, up to 4.2 GHz the system is stable and reliable. Thanks, anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello PNove,

Thank you for the update.

We have documented the steps you took to resolve this issue.

Hopefully, other community members will find this information helpful if they experience a similar issue.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos