Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products

USB Audio issues

AusUser22
Beginner

Hi, 

I am using an Intel NUC11PAHi7 running Windows 10 64 bit.

USB audio devices (speaker/headset) only work as expected when they are plugged in while the computer starts. If the headset is plugged in on start of the computer, when I unplug it and plug in the speaker, sound does not play from the speakers despite them being the selected audio device in the sound settings. If the headset is not plugged in upon starting the computer, the headset's microphone does not function but the output of the headset does.

This means that I have to restart the NUC each time I want to use a different USB audio device. 

I have tried updating the drivers, restarting Windows Audio services, uninstalling and re-installing the devices, running troubleshooter and using another USB audio port. None of these have resolved the issue. I have tried my USB audio devices on another computer and they work as expected.

I would appreciate any advice that my resolve the issue.

Thank you

0 Kudos
20 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

If you simply select an audio output device, this can be overridden by HDMI/DisplayPort Audio support when displays are initially being discovered (at Windows Startup). My understanding is that, to make this selection persistent, you need to also make this the default selection. Have you tried this?

...S

AusUser22
Beginner

Thanks for the reply.

Changing default devices does not resolve the issue. If the USB headset is plugged in on computer start-up and later unplugged to plug in the USB speakers - sound is being output by the HDMI monitor despite the speakers appearing as the "default device" in the sound control panel and the monitor as "ready".

Jean_Intel

Hello @AusUser22

If I may interrupt here, and in order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• Was the unit bought in less than 30 days?
  • Did the unit use to work without any issue?
  • Is there any error message on the device manager?
  • Did you make any hardware or software changes before the issue started?
  • When you tried using the USB devices on another system, did you try using the same monitor?
  • Download and create a report on the following programs:

Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU) 

• Download the Intel SSU (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-window...)

• Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 

• Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 

To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

AusUser22
Beginner

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the reply

In response to the questions

• Was the unit bought in less than 30 days? No the unit was purchased in late 2021
  • Did the unit use to work without any issue? No
  • Is there any error message on the device manager? No
  • Did you make any hardware or software changes before the issue started? No, as above the unit has not previously worked without any issue
  • When you tried using the USB devices on another system, did you try using the same monitor? No, the other system I tried on was a laptop with its own monitor.

I have attached the scan results.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions

Thanks

Jean_Intel

Thanks for your response; all the information provided has been useful.

Regarding your issue, can you try using another monitor? This is just to confirm if your issue is being caused by the monitor and not the NUC.

I also noticed on the reports that the operating system version installed on your system is version 19043; however, the latest version available for Windows 10 is version 19044. Keep in mind that it is always important to maintain your system up to date.

In case the issue persists, I would like to suggest trying a clean installation of the graphics driver, installing version 30.0.101.1191, the latest option available for your unit:

Steps for the clean installation (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html)

Download (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19350/intel-graphics-dch-driver-for-intel-nuc.html)

I hope you find this information useful.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

AusUser22
Beginner

Thanks Jean for the advice.

I have updated  my version of Windows. I have also done a clean install of the graphics drivers, however this did not resolve the issue.

I have tried both my USB devices on another system again and they work as intended.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jean_Intel

Hello @AusUser22.

Thanks for your response. I am sorry to hear that your issue is still present.

Regarding your issue, I would like to suggest checking if there is a new firmware update for your USB devices; please contact the manufacturer of the devices to confirm this, and if available try installing the latest firmware version.

However, you can also try doing a BIOS recovery using the Power Button menu method. We will install version 0042 of the Bios, which is the latest version available for your drive. To complete the process, carefully follow the steps given below:

• Plug a USB device into a USB port of the Intel NUC when it’s turned off (not in Hibernate or Sleep mode), then power up Intel NUC.

• Download and save the zip Recovery BIOS file for your Intel NUC unit to that USB device (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19694/bios-update-patgl357.html).

• Double-click the RECOVERY.zip to extract its files.

• Power off your Intel NUC, keep the USB device in a USB port.

• Press and hold down the power button for three seconds, then release it before the 4-second shutdown override. The Power Button Menu appears.

• Press F4 to start a BIOS Recovery.

• Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete.

• The computer will either turn off when the recovery process is completed or it will prompt you to turn off the computer.

• Remove the USB flash drive.

• Restart the computer.

If you have any other questions or need more information about the steps, visit the following article (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000033291/intel-nuc.html)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Jean_Intel

Hello @AusUser22.

I hope you are doing fine

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

AusUser22
Beginner

Thanks for checking in Jean. 

I have not tried yet. I'll have to borrow a USB flash drive to try it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards

Jean_Intel

Hello @AusUser22.

Thanks for letting me know.

I will be waiting for your response to check the outcome of trying my suggestions.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Jean_Intel

Hello @AusUser22

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to try my previous suggestions?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

AusUser22
Beginner

Hi Jean,

Thanks again for the suggestion.

I performed a BIOS recovery as per the instructions above. Unfortunately, the issue still persists. Is there anything else I could try? I am starting to think I won't be able to resolve this.

Regards,

Jean_Intel

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Jean_Intel

Hello AusUser22,

My apologies for taking so long to post back to your thread 

I want to suggest you do a rollback of the graphics driver, this time installing version 27.20.100.9466. To get the installation file for the driver, please refer to the link: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/30381/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html).

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

AusUser22
Beginner

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have rolled back the graphics driver to the version suggested, however the issue persists.

Regards,

Jean_Intel

Thank you for the information provided. 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Jean_Intel

Hello AusUser22,

Please try to process the Clean installation steps one more time; however, in this opportunity, we are going to install driver version 30.0.101.1660.

1. Download the latest DCH drivers and save them on the computer: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html)

2. Disconnect from the Internet, so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center and driver from Apps and Features. 

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters that the controller is listed as: 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Apps and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 

2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 

3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 

4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH drivers that were downloaded in step 1 Restart the computer. 

Reconnect to the Internet. 

Let me know the outcome of trying this driver.

Best regards,

Jean O.

AusUser22
Beginner

Thanks Jean, 

I tried a clean installation of the drivers you linked by following the steps above, however the issue still persists.

Regards,

Jean_Intel

Hello AusUser22,

I appreciate your information.

Since we have tried multiple troubleshooting steps and the issue persists, please try to process your warranty for your product. After verifying that your warranty is still active (here: Determine if Your Product Is Still Under Warranty), directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this through the forums). Here are pages where you can look up contact information, including local/country phone numbers, by geography: 

U.S. and Canada: Intel Customer Support 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html 

Europe, Middle East, and Africa: Intel Customer Support EMEA  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html 

Asia-Pacific: Intel Customer Support APAC  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/apac-contact.html 

Latin America: Intel Customer Support LAR  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/lar-contact.html 

Best regards,

Jean O.

Jean_Intel

Hello AusUser22,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O.