Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wchen101
Novice

USB device connect directly to NUC-8i7BEH1 (with ESXi 6.7u1 but it doesn't work)

How powerful Intel NUC is. But now I got some issue at this moment. Hope someone can give any advice to overcome this issue.

Devices Information:

01. Intel NUC 8i7BEH1 with BIOS BECFL357.86A(0064)

02. ESXi 6.7u1

03. Guest OS W7 SP1/ W10. etc

Issue describe

I want to use my USB 64G dongle to upload or download files through Guest OS W7. When I plug it into my NUC and the NUC can recognize my USB dongle at Guest OS Edit (Edie->Virtual Hardware->Add Other Device->USB Device). After that I login at my Guest OS, But it only shows "Unknown Device"

A. Reinstall VMware Tools and it doesn't work.

B. Try to plug other USB 128G dongle and it doesn't work too.

Can someone give me some advice to overcome this issue? Really appreciate your help.

Thanks guy

My E-mail: wenyuan.chen@gmail.com

7 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello wchen101, Thank you for joining this Intel Community. VMware* ESXi has not been validated for Intel® NUC products. Even though the support is limited, we would like to gather more information in order to assist you. Memory (make/model/size/speed): SSD (make/model/size): USB devices: Other devices: Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
wchen101
Novice

Hi WannerG

Good day.

Thanks for quickly responding.

This is my Intel NUC info.

Memory: Patriot Memory Viper Series DDR4 16GB (1x16GB) 2400MHz (PC4-19200) SODIMM Laptop Memory Module - PV416G240C5S x 2

SSD SATA: Intel SSD 128G (for ESXi and ISO files)

M.2: Intel 660P 512G (for Guest OS, W XP, W7, W2k8 and W2k12.)

USB devices: SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 (CZ430, 64G)

If you need more information, please feel free to ask me. Also, I recommend a few of my friends to use ESXi with Intel NUC and we are very satisfied about Intel NUC but we stuck with ESXi USB. 

Thank you WannerG and Intel Customer Support Technician.

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello wchen101, Thank you for your response and feedback. It is highly appreciated. We will do research and get back to you as soon as possible. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Ronny_G_Intel

Hello wchen101, As Wanner mentioned before we offered very limited support for VMware* ESXi as it has not been validated for NUC, we know it works but official testing has not been done. Having said that, and I really hate to make this question but have you tested Windows 10? Did you try VMware* ESXi support? Regards, Ronny G
wchen101
Novice

Hi Ronny & WannerG

Good day

Thanks for quickly responding.

After I saw your advice. I post my question in the VMware community. Hope there is someone who can answer my question. Also, thanks for your advice. I should post my question on both side.

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2841665#2841665

Regarding to your question, I do have Windows 10 in my guest OS at ESXi, but I forget if I try it before. I'll do this test and let you guys know the result.

Many thanks for you guys help.

Wchen101

wchen101
Novice

Hi WannerG & Ronny

Good day.

Finally, I overcome this issue. Also, I refer Serval webpage and technical report. (Esxicli system module, xhci, vmkusb etc.)

VMware gives me some advice below.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1021345

(have been tested and are supported)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1022290

(EHCI+UHCI controller, xHCI. etc.)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2147650

(vmkusb)

This is my result to solve this issue.

01. Go to Virtual Machine->Edie->Add other device->USB Controller

02. Select USB 3.0 (Before that I use USB 2.0)

03. The Guest OS must be Windows 10 and it work perfectly.

But still. I try to install at W7 & WXP and it doesn't work.

You may wonder why I want to use W7 or WXP?

The semiconductor factory use FMCS (Facility Monitor and Control System) to control their production process. A factory may build many years ago. In general, The FMCS will use an old computer and the old version OS such as Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 etc. Somehow the OS of the FMCS system may not be broken, but they Hardware will. Most of our customers such as TSMC, UMC, PSC, etc. are facing this kind of issue for a long time, because their old FMCS is becoming old and problem appear more critical.

Intel NUC is the pre system to integrate the system. By using the Intel NUC we can assess their system problem and migrate their old system to VMware ESXi more efficient.

I really appreciate you guys and Intel Customer Support Technician to help me for this issue.

Thanks

Eddie

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello wchen101, Thank you for sharing the outcome of your research and taking your time to provide your feedback. Hopefully, other community members will also follow these steps in case they are experiencing a similar issue. Regards, Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation