Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AKuip
Beginner

USB serial issues when using an USB hub

Recently i bought an Intel NUC8i5BEH (replacing a 6th generation NUC), only i noticed the USB ports don't work well when it has an USB hub connected.

I have connected powered and none-powered HUBs (5 different ones in total) to each of the USB ports, but i see 'randomly' disconnects of my serial devices. The devices ONLY work stable when i directly connect them, bypassing the HUB. There is nothing in any of my logs (normally I use Ubuntu 18.04/19.04).

It is this a hardware, software or design issue of the Intel NUC? I am happy to execute commands on the NUC if somebody wants more information . Because this makes me hesitant for future upgrades.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello AKuip, Thank you for posting on this Intel Community. To better assist you, we would like to gather more information to determine the cause of the issue: 1. Please provide the USB hub part numbers you have tested. 2. Could you please list the devices that you have connected to the USB hub when the problem occurs? 3. By any chance are you able to try this setup in a Windows* 10 environment? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
AKuip
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

Thanks for your fast reply.

I have tried the following 5 USB HUBs:

All of them give the same behavior, so it doesn't look like a faulty USB HUB. All last 4 HUBs worked perfectly on my previous Intel NUC6CAYH for more than 1 year.

I use my NUC for home automation, so I have connected the following devices:

As I said earlier, this was rock stable on the previous NUC. When I connect them now to via an USB HUB I see disconnects/problems sometimes after 2hours, but maximum of 12hours that it happens. I have a few watchdog scripts running, who report the issues immediately.

Sorry, I can't test this on Windows, because then I can't use/test it with the devices connected to my USB HUBs (most don't have a Windows version for easy testing). I have ordered an USB 2.0 bracket, so I am curious if it is only the 4 USB 3.0 ports or also the USB 2.0. I will post also my findings when I have received it.

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello AKuip, Thank you for your response. We will review this information and get back to you soon. Also, please let us know your findings as soon as you can. Regards, Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello AKuip, Thank you for your response. We have tested USB hubs in Windows* 10 and have not experienced any issue so far. We noticed that some of these USB hubs are not powered. If possible, we recommend using powered USB hubs since you are connecting several devices to your unit. Intel has also validated a few USB hubs that you can check in case you would like to give them a try. Intel® Product Compatibility Tool http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?EPMID=126148 It is worth mentioning that Intel has not validated Linux. Our suggestion is that you can contact your Linux distribution and use the latest kernel available. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
AKuip
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

Thanks for you reply.

Only it doesn't help me further with the problem, because I have tested with a powered hub and I don't believe any Intel validated hubs will 'solve' my problem. As i mentioned, the problem isn't shown directly and it depends on the equipment connected to it. I believe with a standard mouse/keyboard you won't see these type of issues. I am still happy to gather information, only I don't have Windows myself.

I also tried the latest version of my distribution (Ubuntu 19.04, so the latest kernel possible) with the same behavior.

I liked the old NUC6 and I thought (hoped) the new NUC8 would be worthy replaced. Only with these USB issues, I need to look for a different mini PC for my home automation.

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello AKuip,

Thank you for your feedback. It is highly appreciated.

Although we are unable to replicate this behavior, we hope that other community members can provide further recommendations based on the devices you are connecting to your Intel® NUC.

Regards,

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

Highlander4
Beginner

This is an issue with all newer Intel chipsets.

They are just horrible. Surface book 3 usb problems - check
Razer blade advanced 2020 usb problems - check.

Constant disconnects from keyboard and mouse. Constant.

Same with dells, Lenovos. All of them.

I am switching to AMD ASAP, and I suggest you do the same. Fix is not coming. This problem has been around for 2 years, and no one does anything about it.