Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS -- Sleep \ Suspend Warning

I have a NUC 5i7RYH. After my first unit was replaced under warranty, my second unit was running beautifully, dual-booting Unbuntu 15.10 and Windows 10 (almost never). I have been very pleased with the unit. First sign of emerging problems (while still running 15.10) occurred last week, when the NUC started to refuse to suspend. It would enter suspend mode, then spontaneously awaken itself after two or three seconds.

Yesterday, I installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. The system went to sleep last night as usual. This morning the system would not respond/awaken to keyboard input. The power button was slowly flashing orange and was completely unresponsive. I unplugged the power and plugged it back in . . . you all know the drill by now . . . no response at all. So I took it apart and unplugged the CMOS battery [ if the gray and black wires disconnect for anyone else like they did for me, when you put it back together, the gray one reattaches on the side closest to the chassis ]. I was able to restart the system.

My BIOS is RYBDWi35.86A.0355.2016.0224.1501.

Now, since Ubuntu 15.10 wasn't sleeping/suspending properly, I don't see any good reason to roll back from 16.04 to 15.10. But what is the best way for me to proceed. Are there recommended bios settings or any other action that I can take to minimize this problem going forward?

---

Update. I went to the power settings and tested my ability to recover from Suspend with the USB S4/S5 both checked and unchecked. While 15.10 would wakeup the system (while that setting as NOT checked), 16.04 will not wake the system up at all. So far, I have been able to awaken the system with the power button when the tests have failed. Wake On LAN is enabled and I downloaded and configured a mobile app. It does not wake the system. Although, interesting, the screen does flicker for a fraction of a second. For Wake On LAN usage, does anyone know how to configure/the NUC and the APP? I am running Wireless and I only see the ability to set the adapter to Wake On LAN from a magic packet on the wired adapter address. Will Wake on LAN work with the wireless adapter? If so, how do you configure it in Ubuntu?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

I'm using an app from the google playstore, called "Wake On Lan" by Mike Webb.

On first use, the app scans for devices in your home, it finds your NUC (mac address and computer name) and then you add it to saved devices.

Works perfectly fine over wired and WiFi. The app can't wake my NUC that is completely shut down, where my IR remote control can .

In Windows I had to tick the checkbox where it says "Allow this device to wake the computer" check box in the properties of the WiFi adapter.

You have to find and check that setting in Ubuntu for yourself, it's probably similar to Windows.

My BIOS 42 settings are all default, untouched. Mine is a NUC6i5SYH.

Highlighted
New Contributor I

My iPhone app would not work, but I just remembered that I have an android phone for testing purposes. I will install it and give it a shot. Ubuntu has a wake on lan config, but the setting is under the "wired" rather than wireless device. Hopefully the setting appears in just one location but will apply to the wireless too. I will update this later, after I give it a shot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello eezis,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Have you tried getting some support at the http://www.ubuntu.com/ Ubuntu Website?

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi eezis,

Did you solve the problem somehow? If not, allow me to try this configuration with a unit we have to see what will be the result.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Ivan,

That one instance occurred, right after I installed 16.04 LTS. There has been no repeated incident. It has been running flawlessly since I recovered it.

Thanks,

Ernest
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I'm glad that your system is now running flawlessly and I appreciate you have taken your time to let us know.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Bricked again this morning.

Has anyone been able to get a Wake On Lan app working with Ubuntu 16.04 WiFi -- wired ethernet has a wake on lan setting, wifi connections don't seem to expose it. Or have directions for pairing a TV Remote with the NUC using Ubuntu (but not Koid/XMBC).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Did you try to post your issue at the Ubuntu website?

At that website we put all together open source work that Intel engineers are involved in. http://www.ubuntu.com/ http://www.ubuntu.com/

0 Kudos