Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DSand10
Beginner

Unable to boot NUC7i7BNH with 16Gb Optain Memory. Error - No bootable hard drive detected.

I just changed the computer and workgroup names of my NUC7i7BNH.  Now I can't boot the system. All I get is an error that no bootable device was found.

Is it a coincidence that the hdd has failed at same time as changing the names, or is there a specific problem.

Either way, I am unable to reboot my system - does anyone have any suggestions or fixes for this problem.

Thanks, in advance,

DaveSanderson

0 Kudos
12 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. I don't know any reason that changing of the group name should affect boot sector.
  2. You may return to the last working configuration from Advanced Option Menu. This menu you can reach after booting from Window Installation Media USB:
  3. Boot from your Windows 10 installation USB.
  4. Select your language preferences and click/tap on Next.
  5. Click/tap on Repair your computer at the bottom.
  6. Click/tap on Troubleshoot.
  7.  Click/tap on Advanced options.
  8. Click/tap on System Restore (use a restore point recorder on your PC to restore Windows).
  9.  If prompted, click/tap on an administrator and follow the instruction on screen. Select the restore point form the list.
  10.  After few Nexts, click Finish confirmed by Yes - the restore will start.
  11. Your PC will now restart and perform a System Restore. 
  12. When the System Restore has completed successfully, click/tap on Restart.

Leon

DSand10
Beginner

​Hi LWAKSMAN,

Thanks for your response.

I tried the Advanced options/System Restore but Windows 10 could find no restore point.

I presume it's because it can't find a HDD.  It was only a week ago I performed a system restore point, so I know one should be there for the system to find.

But thanks for giving me an option.

Dave

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Dave,

1. I'm sorry that this attempt was unsuccessful.
  2. While you enter Bios setting is your HDD recognized? Check in Bios: Advanced > Devices > SATA .
  3. Is your Optane acceleration for this HDD enabled?: SATA mode set to Intel RST with Optane .
  4. In addition enter Advanced > Devices >Add-in-Config and press on Configure (near Intel RST). Windows with Intel Optane Volume configuration shall open.
  5. Press on Intel Optane and you should see if your HDD is enabled for acceleration. See the attached images as an example.

Leon

optanVolumeNUC7i7DNHE.jpg

optanVolumeInfoNUC7i7DNHE.jpg

DSand10
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Thanks for your help once more.

Unfortunately it looks like it might be the HDD. After finally getting into the BIOS, I noticed that no boot drive was could be found. Hence, no Optane memory properties were available.

I am trying to do a data recovery on the drive to then see if the drive can be repaired.

I let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

Dave

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello DSand10,

Were you able to check LWAKSMAN's post?

Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

DSand10
Beginner

Hi David V,

Thanks for your contact.

I checked LWAKSMAN's posts and taking additional steps.

If you have any further ideas, I'm open.

Thanks,

Dave

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello DSand10,

Have you been able to complete the data recovery and attempted the repair you mentioned?

Let me know if you need assistance.

Regards,

David V

DSand10
Beginner

Hi DavidV,

Unfortunately both the attempted data recovery and drive repair failed. While the data on the drive could be 'seen' it was a different matter accessing it.

This has left me only one alternative ​and that is to get a new hard drive; uless you can offer any other suggestion.

T​hanks for your interest.

Dave​

DSand10
Beginner

Hi DavidV,

Unfortunately both the attempted data recovery and drive repair failed. While the data on the drive could be 'seen' it was a different matter accessing it.

This has left me only one alternative ​and that is to get a new hard drive; uless you can offer any other suggestion.

T​hanks for your interest.

Dave​

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello DSand10,

Thank you for your response.

Have you attempted using the drive in a different system to see if it is accessible there? Have you tried other drives in the same slot in the Intel ® NUC to see if the issue is related to the port itself? This is an important step because, if other drives are not recognized in the same slot then it could mean that the issue is with the port and not the drive.

Let me know please.

Regards,

David V

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello DSand10,

Were you able to check my post?

Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Regards,

David V

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello DSand10,

Please contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

David V