Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12528 Discussions

Unable to go past 1080P on older NUC

ATSo1
Beginner
I have gotten this older Intel NUC from the 5th Generation CPU’s, with an i5-5300U and it is a NUCSI5MYBE. Before wiping old stuff of it I hooked it up to a 1440P monitor whereas I noticed it only was outputting 1080P. I later reset the computer to a fresh install and noticed that without drivers installed I was getting the full 1440P, but as soon as reinstalled drivers again it could no longer output that higher resolution.

I’m not sure what to make of it being that the Intel i5-5300U has Intel HD-5500 Graphics which can output to 4k at 60HZ and is more than capable to output 1440P. I’m unsure if it some sort of driver issue or that’s just how these we’re supposed to be.

If you know anything about these older NUC’s and how they output signals please let me know what’s going on here!

- Thank you
0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I pulled the 4K@60Hz-capable mDP-to-HDMI adapter that I use with a later-generation NUC and plugged it into my MY NUC. I was able to make 4K@30Hz work, but I was never able to get 4K@60Hz to work. Unfortunately, while I have all sorts of 1080p and 2160p monitors, I have no native 1440p monitors that I could try, so I can't exactly repeat your test.

Question: What display driver package do you have installed? I am running the 15.40.48.5171 package (20.19.15.5126 driver), which is the last released that supported 5th gen processors.

...S

ATSo1
Beginner
Thanks, mine is running 15.40.41.505 from package 20.19.15.5058 from 8/16/18.
itsme
New Contributor I

try this one here  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18369/intel-graphics-driver-for-windows-15-40.html

It's possible that the old driver got updated by WIndows Update. You could verify this in the event log of the gfx adapter. This can lead to an incorrect driver installation.

You could also try to remove the current video driver, and let WIndows UPdate push its driver to the device. 

itsme
New Contributor I

@n_scott_pearson wrote:

I pulled the 4K@60Hz-capable mDP-to-HDMI adapter that I use with a later-generation NUC and plugged it into my MY NUC. I was able to make 4K@30Hz work

is this a passive adapter?   HDMI with a passive DP to HDMI adapter strongly depends  on the implemented  Dual-Mode standard of the device. Older standards  support up to  1200p@60Hz, newer standard  is  limited to 4k@30Hz.  Current systems should be able to support HDMI2.0  resolutions via passive DP to HDMI cable/adapter.

This should not be an issue with  active  HDMI2 adapters, because  DP port will provide DP signals.