Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CBonn2
Beginner

Unable to play games on Hades Canyon NUC8i7HNK1

I just recently bought a Hades Canyon NUC8i7HNK1 which I expected to run games flawlessly. However when I run any game, the CPU and GPU spike to 100%, making the game unplayable, even on the lowest settings. I can't even run Warhammer Vermintide 2, which was a free download with the device. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Did you install anything else besides the game(s)? If so, what? What anti-virus do you have?

Doc

CBonn2
Beginner

I installed Windows 10 Enterprise onto the NUC. After that, I installed some windows features (hyper-v, telnet, snmp) for home-lab purposes, then the only applications I installed was Chrome, Steam, and a couple games to play. I have not installed any antivirus.

AlHill
Super User

Another W10 Enterprise user, eh?

Turning on those windows features should not be an issue. Chrome (as well as Edge, IE, etc) can consume a lot of memory and some processor time. I do not know about Steam, but did you have a lot of games and settings stored on Steam that it is downloading? Still, that should not cause the problems you are seeing.

Other than that, what you have sounds reasonable.

Download, run, and attach the results of this utility: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

Perhaps one of the Intel support engineers has some suggestions.

Doc

RHild
Novice

It sounds like you're hitting thermal throttling very quickly. The CPU in the NUC8i7HNK is a 65 watt TDP package, so I would think that it would be easier to keep cool as compared to the CPU in the NUC8i7HVK, which is a 100 watt TDP package. Are the cooling fans ramping up quickly to meet the thermal demands, or are they staying relatively quiet? I'm just wondering if the fan cooling profile is set incorrectly in the BIOS....

I suspect that this thermal throttling is not a software issue (though I could certainly be wrong). Assuming it's a hardware issue, I can think of a few reasons why it might be happening:

1. Cooling fans are not working correctly and/or spinning fast enough. The cooling fans could be at fault for a number of reasons, including simply not spinning fast enough, or not reacting to temperature changes aggressively enough. It's possible the BIOS setting for fan cooling is not set correctly or is corrupted. Possible solution is to update BIOS to latest version (if it's not already at the latest version) and reboot, and then load the default settings for that BIOS version. Check to see if the fan cooling profile is set to "balanced".

2. Core CPU voltage is somehow too high. This is another BIOS issue and is fixed the same way as # 1. I don't have my NUC in front of me, so I can't tell you what Vcore should be, but if you want me to take a look I can find that info for you tonight.

3. Bad thermal interface material between CPU and heatsink. It's possible that the thermal interface material between the CPU and heatsink has been poorly applied and isn't doing it's job correctly. The only way to fix this is take the unit apart, remove the heatsink, clean out all the old TIM, and reapply using something better like Thermal grizzly kryonaut or even conductonaut. Unfortunately, this is a warranty-voiding operation, so only do this if you really want to.

4. Defective unit that just needs to be replaced. This one's pretty self-explanatory...

-Robert

CBonn2
Beginner

I updated the BIOS and confirmed the fan setting is set to Balanced, the BIOS update did not make it any better. I also ran the Diagnostic Utility and attached the file, as well as submitted a ticket to Intel.

RHild
Novice

I noticed a couple of things based on the Intel diag utility that you posted:

1. You're running BIOS 37 on the device. The latest version is 49: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28073/BIOS-Update-HNKBLi70-86A-?product=126141 Download BIOS Update [HNKBLi70.86A]

2. You have not installed the AMD Radeon RX Vega M Driver. The video driver is still listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28071/Radeon-RX-Vega-M-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-Server-... Download Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics Driver for Windows® Server 2016 for the Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HNK, NUC8i7HVK

3. The driver version for Intel HD graphics is not the latest version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28079/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit-for-t... Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit for the Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HNK, NUC8i7HVK

Updating all of those things, especially # 2, could be very helpful.

-Robert

MLevi
Valued Contributor I

Robert,

These straight-forward answers are what make this community an awesome place to hang out.

idata
Community Manager

I just recently bought a Hades Canyon NUC8i7HNK1 which I expected to run games flawlessly. However when I run any game, the CPU and GPU spike to 100%, making the game unplayable, even on the lowest settings. I can't even run Warhammer Vermintide 2, which was a free download with the device. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Hi I see you may have had some luck I do know that the Unit you have Same as Mine will run any game you can throw at it Normal in 4K 30FPS+ I run the Following games without a Problem

Forza Horizon 3 and 4, Forza Motorsport 6 Apex and 7 as well as Gears of War 4, Recore and several others I will link a GPU Driver for you that the guys here helped me with the other day.

I find the NUC great for gaming and have found that if it gets a tad Hot then I just will lock the Frame rate to about 40FPS using the GPU settings for Games Global Settings You can also select the setting for each game normally. And if I want the games to run at a Higher frame rate I will just drop it to 1080p with either high or Ultra settings. But every game I listed will run at least 4K 30FPS high or Ultra settings once you have the correct Driver installed.

See post For more details.

Thanks to rhildinger for the link

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28109/Radeon-RX-Vega-M-Graphics%3Fproduct%3D80939 Download Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics

Hoping you have many hours of hassle free gaming.