Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Unable to run Sysprep generalize properly with the new NUC10i7FNH

Worked fine on all previous NUCs but with Nuc10i7FN something in the UEFI is stopping generalize from running when creating the master image. Every device is getting the same device ID. This never happened on previous versions of the Nucs. Anyone else experience this? Or have a fix, Intel?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted

Hello GGozz,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

To better assist you, we would like to have more information about your unit:

• BIOS version
  • OS version
  • Are you running Windows Setup before you use Sysprep?
  • Are you using the same Sysprep version? Which one?
  • Could you please provide us with steps to reproduce this issue?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Have you tried running this tool on any of the other NUC boards whose BIOS has the new UEFI core? This would be these NUC boards:

• NUC 8 Rugged Board: NUC8CCHB
  • NUC 8 Pro Boards: NUC8v7PNB, NUC8v5PNB, NUC8i3PNB
  • NUC 8 Mainstream-G Boards: NUC8i7INB, NUC8i5INB

I am not sure but I think these too:

• NUC 9 Pro Compute Elements: NUC9VXQNB, NUC9V7QNB
  • NUC 9 Extreme Compute Elements: NUC9i9QNB, NUC9i7QNB, NUC9i5QNB

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

• BIOS version - 0038 and 0039
  • OS Version - Windows 10 pro 1903 and 1909
  • Windows Setup? Yes, it is a fresh install of Windows. Sysprep is run immediately at the first OOBE question by hitting ctrl+shift+F3
  • Sysprep version? I don't think there are versions.
  • Steps: run sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:unattend.xml on a fresh installation of Windows on the Nuc10, capture the image, image multiple machines and check Device ID's. They will all be the same which negates the point of running sysprep /generalize. OOBE and the answer file work, it't just not generalizing. It worked on the Nuc7i7FNH and NUCi5RYK. I am doing the same process and puting the exact same software as the 7i7's the only thing that is different is the NUC10 and it's UEFI.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

No. This is the first time with new UEFI. Prior Nuc's were the NUCi5RYK and NUCi7FNH where it worked fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Was that a typo? You said it wasn't working on FN. Did you mean to say that it was working on RY and BN?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Do you mean that your previous usage of this tool was on NUCs using Legacy Boot (i.e. not using UEFI Boot or GPT Partitioning)? Or did you meant to say using the older UEFI Boot implementation?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes. Legacy boot with the older Nucs. After digging deeper, It may be a Windows appxpackage issue (it seems to cause a lot of sysprep issues) or possibly something missing in the answer file. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes sorry. It is 7i7BNH

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Isn't the answer file/unattend file. It runs after generalize. I should have know that.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Intel would like a list of the drivers, apps, etc. that you are including so that they can attempt to reproduce. If you are willing, you can send this to me via private message and I will pass it along to (just) them.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello GGozz,

Please allow us to look into this issue.

We will update this thread as soon as possible.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi GGozz,

I am not very experienced with Sysprep but I can ask the product team for help.

Please help me with the following information:

1- Are you getting any specific error message or just not moving forward? Can you please provide me with a screenshot either for the error message or for the step in which the process is stopped?

2- Please confirm your Windows 10 pro 1903 and/or 1909 is not updated

3- No antivirus is running?

4- Stop tiledatamodelsvc service

5- Perhaps anything on the Setuperr.log file that is located at Panther folder?

Thanks,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi GGozz,

Do you have any update regarding this issue?

Thanks,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi GGozz,

I haven't heard from you in a while so I am closing this issue for now but please feel free to reopen if you still need assistance.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry. So everything seems to be ok even though the device ID's in Windows are the same. Using PStools-PSGetSID, each device has a unique ID (and once on the domain they have unique Security ID's) so I am guessing the error might be Windows related. But this also doesn't happen on the old NUCs we re-image or any version of the lenovo thinkpad laptops we issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi GGozz,

Thanks for the update, I am glad to hear that it seems to be okay. As I mentioned before I am not an expert using Sysprep and I would need all possible details to investigate this report, I am going to keep an eye open regarding this issue and will come back if I find anything important to bring into the community.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos