cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RBell1
Novice

Unsuccessful POST attempt error

Maybe 25 percent of the time my NUC8I7HNK errors on POST:

BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s).

Possible causes include recent changes to BIOS

Performance Options or recent hardware change.

Press 'Y' to enter Setup or 'N' to cancel and attempt

to boot with previous settings.

Pressing 'N' has always resulted in a successful boot.

I'm running BIOS version 0040 and drivers from Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7HNK_Win10-64_Drivers.20180524. I tried setting the BIOS to default values, but no joy.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Please download latest bios file HN0040.bio https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27808/NUCs-BIOS-Update-HNKBLi70-86A-?product=126141 Download BIOS Update [HNKBLi70.86A] and recover your bios pressing F4 from Power Button Menu: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Leon

RBell1
Novice

The power button menu appears, but F4 with a thumb drive in one of the ports just reboots the machine.

Should I try F7? Or the Security Jumper?

Thanks.

LeonWaksman
Super User

HelloRobert.Bell ,

I'm sorry for the delayed answer. It was night here and I was sleeping.

1. After pressing F4 from recovery menu, NUC shall reboot and the recovery shall start after about 30 seconds. Fact that instead to starting recovery process, your NUC reboots into Windows, means that after rebooting, valid bios file wasn't recognized on USB memory stick. Try to fully reformat your USB stick to FAT32. Please use Windows machine (not MAC or Linux). Fully reformat your USB stick (with quick option disabled) and then copy again the bios file. Now, start the recovery again.

2. Updating bios using recovery method (F4) is more effective that F7 method. In the first method, all parts of bios firmware are re-flashed.

3. Recovering bios with security jumper removed is similar to recovery from Power Button Menu. The difference is that it shall start automatically, without user intervention. Since (in my opinion) your USB is faulty or is incorrectly formatted, also in this method the bios file will not be found and your NUC will boot into Configuration Menu (see the attached image), instead of recover bios firmware.

Leon

RBell1
Novice

Thanks for the further instructions. I succeeded in doing a BIOS recovery, and it's been good so far.