Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BHjal
Beginner

VR Headset for NUC8I7HVK?

I plan to buy a VR Headset to use with NUC8I7HVK and I have looked at the 2 best products, Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.

HTC Vive

I have run the program SteamVR Performance Test and the Test Result is attached.

The conclusion is that the NUC Graphic does not fulfil the recommended minimum.

The recommendation is to upgrade of the Graphic board!

The minimum Graphic requirement is similar capacity as Geoforce GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon RX480, which are about 20% faster than RX Vega M RH.

The processor are ok.

Worth to mention is that the test program on the Vive Web does not report correctly for the NUC. It reports Intel Graphic instead of AMD, but Steam VR Performance Test do it right.

Oculus Rift

Here it's going better. The test program reports that everything is ok, but a little minus for Graphics.

Oculus has two requirements specification instead of one from HTC Vive (Recommended minimum).

1. Minimum. This is a little lower requirement than HTC Vives and the NUC fulfils it.

2. Recommended. The NUC dows not fulfils it.

Anyone here that has used VR Headset with the NUC?

Experience….

The only way to upgrade is to add an external graphic card through Thunderbolt bus.

/Bjorn

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PVojt
Novice

As many other people you also overlooked Microsoft Windows Mixed Reality platform.

I am using it with Lenovo Explorer.

- no performance issues. I am able to run everything including Fallout 4VR.

- Setup is supereasy. Just make sure Windows 10 download all updates

- Controllers are paired to internal Hades Canyon BT and works perfect

- higher resolution decrease screendoor effect

- HMD is also much lighter so it fits my head much better than HTC Vive - this is however very subjective

- For me it is perfect portable VR set. I can prepare it within few minutes anywhere (i.e. hotel during business trip).

- Great SteamVR compatibility

- Microsoft is constantly developing platform

There are only two downsides I face so far

- Because displays are LCDs color are not so great

- Tracking can sometimes be problematic. Fixes are direct line of sight between controllers and BT unit (Hades), enough light, busy room (no empty white walls)

Samsung recently announced new Samsung Odyssey+ HMD - updated version for better comfort and including BT for improved tracking. I suggest to look at these (OLEDs, good build quality, built-in BT)

BHjal
Beginner

Have not looked att MR Headset, but that sounds great.

Then you don't need the heavy investment, 600-700$, for a eGPU if you go for Oculus or Rift.

I have found HMD Odyssey in Microsoft Store:

HMD Odyssey

Original price$499Offer price $399 Possible to get cheaper at Ebay, used one's.

• Resolution: 2880 x 1600 (2 x 1440)
  • Display: AMOLED
  • Refresh rate: Up to 90Hz
  • Field of view: Up to 110°
  • Integrated AKG headphones, Dual array mics
  • Includes motion controllers

You mention that it was LED, it seems to be OLED. The only one with OLOED of the four different one's in Microsoft store.

Here is a link to some information about Odyssey+

https://www.windowscentral.com/samsung-odyssey-mixed-reality-headset-breaks-cover-fcc-documents https://www.windowscentral.com/samsung-odyssey-mixed-reality-headset-breaks-cover-fcc-documents

Result of Windows MR PC-Check.

Any information when the + version will be introduced on the market?

Another thing, do you know of any community for VR?

/Bjorn

PVojt
Novice

If you are from USA Odyssey+ should come out in next weeks. Unfortunately global availability will be limited maybe due to pending patents or something.

You may try headset it in MS store and maybe even current odyssey will fit your head. Or try others for comparism. For example I don't mind weaker colors in Lenovo when I take weight into consideration. Lenovo is much lighter.

WMR headsets often go with discount across retailers.

Reddit has active community where even Microsoft developers sometimes posting. Search for WindowsMR subreddit.

JBrow51
Beginner

Hi Guys, The Hades Canyon or Intel NUC8i7HVK, works absolutely fine with the Oculus Rift S,

Oculus tech support were being too techie and not going back to basics. For some reason, the Oculus software update caused issues, where the Oculus software correctly recognises the mini-display port being used as well as the USB.

However, the Oculus software was defaulting to the on-die Intel 630, which we all know isn't actually connected to anything. Here's the fix:

step 1,2 & 4are quite possibly not required, however, are being provided as this is what I did to fix it.

1. Install the AMD adrenaline Radeon RX vega 64 driver direct from AMD
  2. Disable HDR in windows 10
  3. Restart windows and enter BIOS by tapping f2 every couple of seconds as it's restarting.
  4. Enable SGX extensions, leave settings at default. Advanced->Security->Security Features->Enable SGX Extensions
  5. Disable the Intel onboard graphics. Advanced->Performance->Graphics->Intel iGD set to to disable.
  6. f10 to save and exit

Voila, The Oculus software no longer sees the onboard Intel GFX and Oculus fires up first time with no issues.

All the best :)

Jon