Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AHill5
Beginner

Visual Bios does not work on my NUC8i7HVK

hi I have a new NUC8i7HVK with BIOS version 0049 and the Visual Bios version 2.2.25.

When I press F2 during the system start the Visual Bios will be displayed, but only the headline and the information for the quick buttons at the bottom of the screen, as well as the version number of the visual bios.

However, I can not use anything, and there are no other options displayed.

What can this be and is there a solution to make the Visual Bios usable again?

thanks

0 Kudos
18 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Except of not seeing bios, you can boot into Windows?

2. Can you try to connect your NUC to other monitor or TV set?

3. If you have Windows installed, please download Intel System Support Utility, run scan and attach a txt file with the results to your post: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

Leon

AHill5
Beginner

Hello Leon, thanks for your answer.

1. I can start Windows without problems.

3. I also tried another monitor without success.

While I tried everything possible, I came across the fact that the bios can be operated without any problems as soon as I disconnect the LAN connection before starting the system. As soon as I reconnect the LAN connection Visual Bios freezes.

3. Apart from that I upload the txt file with the scan result as you requested.

Thanks

Naigu

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Naigu,

1. I can see that not all drivers are updated. You can download the latest drivers here (after choosing Windows 10 64): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/126143/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7HVK Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HVK . It is always good to have the drivers updated. However, I don't think that outdated driver causes your problem, since Bios is not affected by the O.S.

2. Is your bios set to default settings? If not press F9 to set defaults and then F10 to save the setting and exit to Windows.

3. Try to connect you Ethernet cable to the second Ethernet port and see if is there is any effect.

4. Operate your NUC with one SODIMM at time and see if there is any change.

Leon

AHill5
Beginner

Hi Leon,

1. I have the driver bundle installed as you suggested.

2. The bios is on default settings. I could not change anything until I found out about the LAN connection.

3. I also tried your suggestion with the second LAN port, but that had not changed anything.

4. I have both SODIMM installed individually, but even this has not changed the problem.

Thanks

Naigu

LeonWaksman
Super User

Follow the following steps to create bootable USB with iflash utility:

1. Insert USB stick into USB slot.

2. Run Rufus.

3. In the Boot selection field select FreeDOS. in File system field select FAT32

4. Press START (confirm with OK) and wait till the process ends.

5. Copy to this USB files extracted from BNKBL357.86A.0069.BI.zip (BN0069.bio and IFLASH2.EXE). Your USB shall look like the attached image.

Now with minimum hardware configuration and with bootable USB inserted, power ON your NUC. Repeatedly press F10 button and if you don't see video, after 1 minute, press enter. If you see now prompt At the prompt, type

IFLASH2 /PF BN0069.BIO, and press Enter.

If you don't see any video, you may try to add this command to the autoexec.bat on this USB.

It is advisable to check if the USB bootable on other PC (legacy boot must be enabled).

Leon

AHill5
Beginner

Hi Leon,

maybe I'm doing something wrong but my NUC8 tells me that this BIOS {BN0069.bio} is not suitable.

Maybe because it is for the NUC7 series if that makes a difference I do not know.

Thanks

Naigu

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Naigu,

You are not wrong. I'm wrong and sorry for this. I don't know why I though that you have other NUC. Your Bios file is HN0049.bio: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28073/BIOS-Update-HNKBLi70-86A-?product=126143 Download BIOS Update [HNKBLi70.86A]

Regards

Leon

AHill5
Beginner

Hi Leon,

As I wrote in my first post, my system is already running on HN0049.

That was my first attempt to get my problem under control.

Do you have any other suggestions

Thanks

Naigu

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Naigu,

The reason for my answer was that today I was not online for almost all day. I was seen this forum in my cellphone. As result off this I send my previous post to you instead to other thread. No I haven't any more suggestions. Wait for support from Intel engineer. May be they will have some better advise.

Leon

idata
Community Manager

Hello Naigu,

We would like to continue assisting you with this issue. If you are unable to access the visual BIOS by pressing F2, please verify the following information:

1. Disable Fast Boot.

-Make sure the system is off, and not in Hibernate or Sleep mode.

-Press the power button and hold it down for three seconds. Then, release it before the four-second shutdown override. The power button menu displays.

-Press F3 to disable Fast Boot.

2. Connect the Intel® NUC to a monitor/TV that supports HDMI, DisplayPort, or VGA connections.

Also, please provide this information:

-How are you connecting your Intel® NUC to the monitor/TV? Please provide the monitor/TV model.

-Are you using a USB monitor?

-Are you using a wireless keyboard/mouse?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
idata
Community Manager

Hello Naigu,

Were you able to review the information provided above?

Wanner G.

AHill5
Beginner

Hello Wanner G.,

1. Fast Boot is off

2. I use 2 BenQ GW2780 connected via mini DisplayPort.

I use wired mouse and keyboard (Sharkoon Purewriter; Asus UX 300)

Thanks

Naigu

idata
Community Manager

Hello Naigu,

We will attempt to replicate this issue. Please provide the following information:

-Is this an out-of-box issue?

-Does it happen if you use HDMI® - HDMI®?

Wanner G.

idata
Community Manager

Hi I had the same problem the other day when trying to up grade after sever failed attempts I went in to the file properties and found out the File was Locked and Blocked by Windows once unlocked it worked a treat

Right click on the file and select properties to check' if it is Blocked like the Pic then Tick the the unlock box and then select OK and they Bios should update.

Pleas note both Versions of the Bios Download were Blocked. and once unblocked worked correctly.

AHill5
Beginner

Hi Wanner G.,

yes the problem is out of the box.

I did not do anything else with the NUC.

It makes no difference whether I use hdmi - hdmi or mini DP- DP

Thanks

Naigu

idata
Community Manager

Hello Naigu,

Thank you for this information.

We will attempt to replicate this issue.

Wanner G.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Naigu,

We were trying to replicate this issue, but we did not run into it. Please try these steps to continue troubleshooting it.

Set BIOS settings to default values:
  • Load BIOS defaults (F9 + Yes) then Save and exit (F10)
  • Then re-enter BIOS and disable LAN Boot under Boot menu. Save and exit (F10)
If these steps do not work, please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread to take a look at your system configuration.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Also, please let us know about the devices connected to the Intel® NUC.

Wanner G.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Naigu,

If you still need any assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.