Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JChu01
Beginner

WD NVMe Black appears in Win10 but not Boot Order

I have a NUCi3CYSM. I Installed a WD Black M.2 NVME SSD and cloned my system HDD to it and it now appears as an e: drive. However it doesn’t appear in the Boot Order list in Intel Visual Bios. It appears in Win10 file explorer and Sysinfo. Win10 is in UEFI mode. So, I can’t boot from it. Appreciate the help! Thx

0 Kudos
11 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

The same mistake many user are making again and again. Since your installation is probably with EFI boot (it should be since this is Windows 10), you can't clone HDD installed in SATA slot to SSD installed in M.2 slot. It will not boot. The easiest way to move your system to the new SSD is to follow this procedure:

1. If you will check the existing partition on your HDD you will find there 4 partition at least. The one is partition C: containing your programs and data The other 3 part that can be moved to other physical location are: EFI, Recovery and MBR or OEM partition.
  2. I suggest that you should first update your existing Windows to the latest version 1809. Then you should backup or clone C: partition only to some external drive.
  3. Change the HDD drive letter from C: to other letter.
  4. Next, you may remove the HDD and install Windows on the SSD. Now you will have again 4 partitions and bootable SSD with latest Windows in partition C:
  5. Now, you can overwrite the partition on disk C: with the cloned from HDD partition , with all programs.
  6. Reinstall the HDD.
  7. Of Course, if you plan to use the SSD for Windows only, you may leave the clean installed Windows on SSD without moving all C: partition to new location.

Leon

JChu01
Beginner

Thanks! I guess you’re saying I need to do a clean Win10 install on the SAD then copy over the data. I got the unit with windows ore installed, and made a recovery flash drive but not sure if I can do a clean install from that. Also, How does that help with the SSD being missing from the Boot Order list In Intel Visual Bios?

The Intel Cust Serv rep said the NVMe drive wasn’t on the approved list ☹️

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. The SSD doesn't appear in the boot order since it is not bootable yet. In order to be bootable you need to install on this SSD Windows first.
  2. Since you can see this SSD in Windows, it is recognised in Bios. You may check in bios settings: Advanced > DEvices > SATA - you will see it in M.2 slot. Also you may see it in Advanced > PCI.
  3. In order to install Windows on your SSD prepare Windows 10 installation media (USB), using Microsoft Media Creation Tool: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
  4. Install Windows 10 Home or Pro (you need the same version you have already activated on your NUC) on your SSD, following this tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

4.1 In para. 7 enter product key (if you have one), or click "I don't have a product key". Windows should be reactivated automatically on your NUC.

4.2 Skip on para. 12 and continue in para. 13. Make sure to delete all existing partitions on your SSD till you see one unallocated space. Press Next and the installation should continue.

After you have bootable SSD with Windows 10 installed, you can overwrite the partition on disk C: with the cloned from HDD partition , with all programs.

Reinstall the HDD.

Leon

JChu01
Beginner

Thanks! That's a lot of detail and I appreciate it! I took the precaution of returning the WD Black and I'm going to use a drive on the Intel certified list, just for a little extra assurance. Its the Intel 660p, which is abit slower but alot larger capacity, so I give up a little in speed (which I'm not super in need of) and get 2x the storage and the "benefit" of Intel compatibility. Once I get it I'll follow your instructions!

JChu01
Beginner

Leon,

I'm back. New SSD arrived and installed.

I used the bootable USB and installed windows 10 on the SSD. HDD disconnected. But, in my excitement, I didn't copy my c: partition from my HDD to an external drive. can I do it now by reconnecting the HDD to the motherboard of the NUC? I suppose I have to transfer my lisence of Macrium Reflect to the new SSD... or should I not bother and just install fresh copies of my apps (not many, just office and a few others) and do a simple copy of my data files?

Thanks.

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Try to reconnect your SSD. I don't know how the system will see the other drive now (two C: drives). Anyway you can't cause any damage. Maybe you will be requested to change the HDD letter designation.
  2. If there are only few installation, I would recommend fresh installation, is always better to have clean Windows. The Office should be reactivated automatically.

Leon

JChu01
Beginner

OK, Thanks!!

JChu01
Beginner

Hmmm, rebooted and something weird happened, i think it booted from the SSD but used settings from the HDD... It shows and SSD and HDD in the Info window, and a D: drive that is locked with bitlocker! lol!

JChu01
Beginner

I have a recent Reflect image of the HDD... maybe I recover the documents from that. But I don't even know how to reformat the HDD, since I cant actually address it with a drive letter!

Wierd.

Gotta go to a meeting, Such challenges!! thx for all the help tho.

JChu01
Beginner

All's well that ends well. There was some drama though. Eventually both the SSD and HDD became unbootable! I reinstalled windows on the SSD, booted fine. I connected the HDD via a docking station but it was LOCKED by bitlocker! I figured out how to get the keys from my MS account and it was then mapping as F: I did a simple file manager copy of the data, formatted the HDD, reinstalled apps on the SSD, reinstalled the HDD inside the NUC, got a scare from the bios but reordered the boot to look at the SSD first, and.....EVERYTHING IS FINE! What an adventure. Thanks for the help.

😎

LeonWaksman
Super User

I'm very glad that the end is good. I like your spirit to fight and your optimistic approach.

Regards

Leon