Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ASull3
Beginner

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR on Intel NUC (NUC7i5BNH)

I have big problems with my new Intel NUC

Model: NUC7i5BNH (Date of Manufacture: 06/2017), SA J3**** - 305

SSD: Samsung 960 Evo M.2

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4-2133 SO-DIMM CL15 Single (CT8G4SFD8213)

The most problematic thing is a bluescreen with error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (Bug check code: 0x00000124). Sometimes the NUC just restarts with no bluescreen at all.

• I use the latest version of Windows 10.
  • The drivers of the NUC are up to date.
  • I've updated the BIOS to version 0062 (I don't know which version previously was installed).
  • I've checked my RAM with Memtest86.

I have heard the NUC6 had electrical problems which were fixed by a new BIOS version 0042. Are NUC7 models with earlier BIOS versions also affected by these problems?

Does anyone has an idea?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The most likely reason is bad memory. No, MemTest86 does not catch all issues. I would try replacing your SODIMM(s) and see if this makes a difference. Hopefully, you can find a source for borrowing this memory rather than purchasing new...

...S

ASull3
Beginner

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately I don't have a source for borrowing extra memory so I would have to purchase a new one. You say Memtest86 does not catch all issues which is especially true for issues which are new (e. g. Row hammer errors on some manufactured chips 2012 which were not detected long time when I remember correct) but when running the memtest many hours with many passes normally the chance it is defect when no errors were detected should be very low. Or do you have other experiences?

Is it also correct the NUC7 were not affected from the electrical problems NUC6 suffered from? Because NUC6 also had this error which caused permanently damage to the hardware.

n_scott_pearson

Yes, while with Intel, I saw bad DIMMs that passed multiple-day runs with MemTest86. Unfortunately, since I cannot say for certain that this is your problem, I am reticent to recommend purchasing replacement DIMMs. Check with your friends and see if you can come up with some to try...

Correct; the WHEA issue that plagued early versions of the NUC6i5SY NUCs is not present in the later NUC models.

...S

ASull3
Beginner

Thank you for your answer. Well unfortunately I only have to possibilities to choose from as my friends don't have SO-DIMMs: I can send the NUC back to the seller or I buy an additional SO-DIMM.

If it isn't the RAM which causes the problems what could it be then do you think?

n_scott_pearson

There are all sorts of possibilities. A failure in the NUC hardware would be the other likely case. If the seller can replace the NUC, why not get the SODIMMs replaced this way?

...S

ASull3
Beginner

The SO-DIMMs were bought separately so only the NUC will be replaced