Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TKoch2
Novice

Wake on USB from S5 not working

Today I've updated my BIOS to the latest version 0057, reset the bios as I always do to start from scratch with all my previous settings, and I've noticed that the "wake on USB from S5" is not working anymore if I have Fast Startup enabled in Windows® 10. I'm using a logitech keyboard K830, and it was working before... What is wrong there?

Regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi,

1. Since you are talking about Bios 0057. I assume that your NUC is NUC8i7HVK (you have forgotten to mention this).
  2. I've checked in my NUC8i7HVK and indeed, the "wake on USB from S5"  is not working if the Fast Startup is enabled. However it is working when you disable Fast Startup. Such functionality is correct and it is according to NUC8i7HVK specification.
  3. Please see Note 3, under Table 9, page 33 in Technical Product Specification: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i7HVK_TechProdSpec.p... "Windows 10 Fast startup will block wake from LAN, USB and CIR from S5."
  4. See the attached images with setting required for enabling wake from S5 with USB.

Regards

Leon

SecondaryPowerSettings.jpgFastStartUpOff.png

TKoch2
Novice

Hi Leon.

Thanks for your feedback. It's very clear. I haven't noticed it in the documentation... In fact it is a pity that those two nice functions can't work together due an unknown reason and I hope it can be solved in a near future, if possible.

By the way, could you explain what is behind this "issue"?

Regards

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi,

Blocking a wake function from S5 state when Fast Boot is enabled is a Windows 10 future, rather than Bios future. When you press Shut down (with Fast Boot enabled), your NUC is entering into a state that’s a mix of shutdown and hibernation instead of completely shutting down the PC. If Fast Startup is enabled, Windows logs off any active user sessions and saves the kernel session to disk when shutting down. This allows Windows to boot faster compared to when performing a full system initialization.  This state is very similar to S3 and S4 states. So, you can wake them up by pressing key or mouse move. In order to make Fast Startup to be as "transparent" to the user, this behavior is of course not acceptable. So, when Windows make hybrid shut down, it sends also halt instruction to all connected devices before it send power down instruction to ACPI subsystem, which technically cut off the power. That's why wake on USB function does not work in hybrid shutdown mode. When Fast boot is disabled, Windows does not send halt instructions, because it does not have to - in normal power off mode you can't run computer by mouse move, keyboard etc. (unless you set up your BIOS that way), so halt instructions are not necessary. To day when fast booting SSD drives are in use, the Fast Start function is not very effective any more.

Hope this answer to your question

Leon

TKoch2
Novice

Your explanation is clear, but I've got confused.

I can notice a considerable difference on speed if I use my SSD with and without Fast Boot, and I like this feature... On the other hand, when I use hibernate, wake on USB works as desired and it is a kind of fast boot + wake on USB, and this is my point of confusion right now because it is a hybrid mode what theoretically cuts off the power of the connected devices as you've described. What is behind this event that differs from what you've explained?

But speaking about a SSDs it makes no sense to force the unit to hibernate, you agree with me, right?

Regards,

Thomas

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Tomas,

I agree with the following:

1. Even in systems equipped with a SSD drive, the login is faster with Fast Boot enabled.
  2. I do not use hibernate state neither.
  3. The Hibernate state is quite similar to Fast Startup, except that instead to returning to saved context (like from hibernate) , the system acts like in cold start, the kernel with kernel device drivers are fully initiated. More detailed and better explanation you may read here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/distinguishing-fast-startup-from-wa...

Regards

Leon

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello TKoch2,

Were you able to check LWAKSMAN's post?

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

TKoch2
Novice

Hi.

Yes I did. I will continue to use the method I'm using that is unfortunately not the fastest, but at least it does what I need. Thanks for the support guys!

Thomas